• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

AutoTune install on Akrapovic system HELP

anTONYo

CBR650F ABS
Jan 13, 2018
Ended up having a new SS bung welded in place of the OEM O2 sensor and had to have a bit of the muffler sleeve trimmed since the new bung was now slightly over the area where the muffler slips on. Ended up running the wiring below the engine (in similar fashion to how the OEM sensor ran), up between the rad hoses near thr shift linkage, under the tank and tucked the autotune unit in a convenient space to the left of the fuses (right between the fuses and the frame). The wires were just long enough to not kink or have any tight spots.

I just noticed when putting the fairings back on that the lower unpainted belly fairing on the right (exhaust) side has a small plastic tab on the inside that was now hitting the larger wideband sensor. Just sliced the tab off with a hot blade and gonna try tomorrow to see if it worked.

Last edited:

anTONYo

CBR650F ABS
Jan 13, 2018
Comparisson of OEM O2 sensor (left) and the Bosch wideband from the autotune kit (installed)

Last edited:

anTONYo

CBR650F ABS
Jan 13, 2018
The harness secured with a zip tie? Can't tell from the picture.

I just have one zip tie near the kickstand where the OEM O2 sensor was secured. May ad another one on this side if I notice any sag in the line. Being new, the natural rigidity of the wire leaving the wideband sensor keeps the connector tight to the underside of the engine but I will keep an eye on it.

anTONYo

CBR650F ABS
Jan 13, 2018
Another thing I wanted to mention here, with the AutoTune install, is the disabling of the PAIR system. I did not want to go with the full-blow PAIR delete with block off plates and all that so I just blocked the air hose at the airbox with a vacuum cap. PAIR system is still on the bike just blocked. No check engine lights and no decel pop at all so I think it's working as I intended.

Also I did not expect such a bump in pep with the AutoTune, really recommend it but I must say, it has involved much more fab work than I expected to go through. A bunch of "I f'd this bike up" moments but it was satisfying to see it come back together and actually feel a difference.

Gives me piece of mind to run a proper closed-loop fueling system now knowing that the bike can monitor its AFRs. Something was bugging me about cranking the bike up at 5C in the morning, riding through a 30C afternoon and returning on a muggy 20C night and realising the bike would not actively adjusting fueling for these atmospheric conditions and just go off of the static PCV fuel trims. I think the PCV kits are slightly different now but atleast for my install, the instructions had me disconnect the stock O2 sensor from the bike and essentially run an open-loop fuel system (no connection between ECU and the stock O2 sensor; the sensor was basically being re purposed for an exhaust plug).

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Gives me piece of mind to run a proper closed-loop fueling system now knowing that the bike can monitor its AFRs. Something was bugging me about cranking the bike up at 5C in the morning, riding through a 30C afternoon and returning on a muggy 20C night and realising the bike would not actively adjusting fueling for these atmospheric conditions and just go off of the static PCV fuel trims. I think the PCV kits are slightly different now but atleast for my install, the instructions had me disconnect the stock O2 sensor from the bike and essentially run an open-loop fuel system (no connection between ECU and the stock O2 sensor; the sensor was basically being re purposed for an exhaust plug).
It was still using other sensors to make changes, so in the end the bike would ride just fine and change it’s fueling based on environmental changes.

You do know the proper operation of the auto tune is to turn it off after a few weeks, correct? It’s not meant to be an always on thing. Once you save your “proper” map, you’re back to an open loop system.

Last edited:

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
True this ^

It's there to let you build your own maps without a dyno.

You could for example, create a "cold air" and "warm air" map and use the map switch on the pc5 to swap between them. The pc5 can do this live whilst running if you route the switch to the handlebars.

J

Cbat

CBR650F ABS
May 13, 2018
Another thing I wanted to mention here, with the AutoTune install, is the disabling of the PAIR system. I did not want to go with the full-blow PAIR delete with block off plates and all that so I just blocked the air hose at the airbox with a vacuum cap. PAIR system is still on the bike just blocked.

Did you block both hose and airbox or just hose? You need to cap the airbox too or you risk sucking in unfiltered air.

Attachments

• 20190319_184435.jpg
    20190319_184435.jpg
    620 KB · Views: 12

anTONYo

CBR650F ABS
Jan 13, 2018
Did you block both hose and airbox or just hose? You need to cap the airbox too or you risk sucking in unfiltered air.
My PAIR hose is still connected to the airbox. I stuck a vacuum cap inside the PAIR hose from the airbox side. Its not like i pulled the hose off, capped it and left it disconnected from the airbox (if im understanding you correctly).

anTONYo

CBR650F ABS
Jan 13, 2018
You do know the proper operation of the auto tune is to turn it off after a few weeks, correct? It’s not meant to be an always on thing.

Where'd you get this from? Wont be doing much after a while but itll keep doing something. Bringing down the trim adjustment range from +/-20% to +/-5 to keep it from throwing skewed numbers after a while. I guess you could disconnect it after the bulk of the adjustments have been made but i dont see the need to disconnect it or anything potentially wrong with single-digit adjustments long-term.

As made obvious by this thread im new to this so enlighten me.

Cbat

CBR650F ABS
May 13, 2018
My PAIR hose is still connected to the airbox. I stuck a vacuum cap inside the PAIR hose from the airbox side. Its not like i pulled the hose off, capped it and left it disconnected from the airbox (if im understanding you correctly).
Gotcha...as long as you are confident it's not going to come loose and grenade a cylinder. Personally, I wouldn't chance it.

Cbat

CBR650F ABS
May 13, 2018
Where'd you get this from? Wont be doing much after a while but itll keep doing something. Bringing down the trim adjustment range from +/-20% to +/-5 to keep it from throwing skewed numbers after a while. I guess you could disconnect it after the bulk of the adjustments have been made but i dont see the need to disconnect it or anything potentially wrong with single-digit adjustments long-term.

Accept the trim table after every ride until you reach a somewhat steady state. Have zero trim table will never happen due to changes in riding style, conditions, temp, elevation....lots of variables.

anTONYo

CBR650F ABS
Jan 13, 2018
Gotcha...as long as you are confident it's not going to come loose and grenade a cylinder. Personally, I wouldn't chance it.
Yeah its in there good rubber on rubber and its jammed in there. The top half of the airbox is actually holding the edge of the cap in place just the way it worked out. Had to snip the vac cap a bit for the top half of the airbox to seat properly (essentially seating on part of the vacuum cap). Hard to explain and i shouldve got a picture before i closed it up but im confident it wont pop out.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since

The install guide will tell you how it operates. Also:

Accept the trim table after every ride until you reach a somewhat steady state. Have zero trim table will never happen due to changes in riding style, conditions, temp, elevation....lots of variables.

Here's a link to the guide, it tells you how the system works:

http://www.powercommander.com/downloads/support-released/manuals/IAT-300.06.pdf

You have to manually "accept" the changes it is suggesting which then loads it as the "base" map. You keep doing that until the "base" map and it's recommendations are pretty close (as stated above).

You're not putting in a new fuel controller, you are "adding" to the stock system. The autotune takes the place of a dyno tune but is not a "real time" fueling controller, in the end there is no need for that, the ECU will still change things based on environmental variable.

I'm hoping this makes sense. Read up on the way the system is designed to work, or better yet, call DJ and see what they say.

Sarat

CBR650F ABS
Jun 10, 2019
Not sure I understand with the quote. The bung is an electrical connector so only comes in one size.
I mean for CBR 650F the bung is of 18mm or 12mm, if the stock bung is of 18mm than I don't require to weld the Autotune Bung on my exhaust

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
Stock o2 sensor is smaller of the two sizes. The autotune sensor is bigger than stock because it is the wide band version.

You will need a bung if the akra pipe doesn't use a reducer for the stock sensor.

Top Bottom