Austrian/Slowenian/Italien Alps in August

redbeardmark

Moto3
Jun 2, 2016
Kassel, Germany
I am planning a trip through part of the Alps in August, and looking for tips/advice/must-see-sites. Starting in Holzkirchen(south of Munich), heading south through Bad Wiessee, Achenkirch, then east to Elmau and St. Johann in Tirol. Then, Saalfelden, Großglockner pass, and Villach. Then, Wurzen pass, Vrsic pass, Fort Kluze, a side trip up Mangart Road, then Lago de Predil, and Tolmezzo. Then, Lozzo di Cadore, Cortinna d'Ampezzo, Andraz, Kurfar, Plan de Gralba, Vigo di Fassa. Then, Karersee, Bolzano Bolsen, Mendel pass, and Ponte de Legno. Then, Bormio/Worms in Veltin, Stelvio pass, Spondinig, Meran, and Sterzing. Then, Innsbruck, Mittenwald, Bad Tölz, and ending again at Holzkirchen.

Only planning 3 or 4 hours of riding per day, leaving room for weather, sightseeing, and side-trips.

All advice is appreciated.

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
My father has ridden through the Timmelsjoch pass multiple times. He absolutely adores it. It's open only a few months a year because the rest of the year it's covered in 3+ meters of snow :)

redbeardmark

Moto3
Jun 2, 2016
Kassel, Germany
Jerry, thanks for the hot tip. That looks like an easy side trip between Meran and Sterzing, maybe an hour up and an hour back. Perfect.

Haqzore, I'll post photos for sure. How do I start a photo album?

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
Jerry, thanks for the hot tip. That looks like an easy side trip between Meran and Sterzing, maybe an hour up and an hour back. Perfect.

My father is actually touring in that area right now. He's sending daily pics like this:
19055768_10211856517681726_6538985018702243388_o.jpg
I told him about your endeavour and he said that if you go through Timmelsjoch, you should follow up with Jaufenpass in Italy because that's supposedly even better to ride.

redbeardmark

Moto3
Jun 2, 2016
Kassel, Germany
So, I am still working on my German motorcycle license. I found out today that by the time enough hours are logged and the practical exam is scheduled, it will be the end of September. I go back to school at the end of September. Looks like this trip will have to wait until next year. Dang.

redbeardmark

Moto3
Jun 2, 2016
Kassel, Germany
Ah, a positive attitude! Okay, so the driving school instructor misspoke. When he said 'end of September', he was thinking 'end of August'. So, it just might happen.

Any dual-sport riders out there that might be interested in doing the Trans America Trail from Colorado to the Oregon coast in Summer of 2018?

redbeardmark

Moto3
Jun 2, 2016
Kassel, Germany
Once you have acquired the motorcycle license, it doesn't cost anything to keep it. The cost is in acquiring it. The cost might vary from school to school, region to region. So far, I have spent about $250 Euros for the Theoretical instruction/Written Test. I just paid $366 Euros for the bulk of the practical instruction, but still have three more 2-hour days left and the exam. Then, there is a fee when picking up the license at the Driver's License bureau, something like 40 or 60 Euros. So, altogether maybe 900 to 1,000 Euros?

If you are only visiting, you might not need a Germany license. Visitors from the U.S. have a 6-month grace period before having to acquire the driver's license. Check the regulations online, to be sure.

redbeardmark

Moto3
Jun 2, 2016
Kassel, Germany
No, I don't have an A2 license. I am taking the A license course(unlimited motorcycle) at present.

I think the way it works(I could be wrong and I am not an attorney, so please don't quote me) is: at a certain age, a youngster can obtain essentially a beginner's license to ride scooters; then, after a period of time/at a specified age, he/she can apply for the power-limited license(maybe that's the A2?); then, after a period of time/at a specified age, he/she can apply for the unlimited license. I vaguely remember reading something about that, but didn't commit it to memory because I am an old guy and these rules don't apply... and I have very limited memory capacity.

After 41 years of driving various automobiles, motorcycles, recreational vehicles, and pulling trailers without a single recorded accident, one would think that is sufficient credentials to easily obtain a license. But, rules are rules, and bureaucracies are... bureaucratic. So, back to school!

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
I was under the impression that you was already happily scooting around on your bike?

The different licenses are fairly simple:
A1 - License can be obtained at 18 years of age without any prior experience. This license allows riding at most a 125cc bike with 11kW (15hp).
A2 - License can be obtained at 20 years of age without any prior experience. If you already own an A1 license for 2 years you can start your lessons for A2 at age 19. This license allows riding any bike with max power 35kW (48hp)
A - License can be obtained at 24 years of age without prior experience. If you already own an A2 license you can get your A license at age 22. This license allows you to ride any bike.

This is a European standard.

redbeardmark

Moto3
Jun 2, 2016
Kassel, Germany
Thanks, Jerry. I guess I cleared the '24 years of age' hurdle with room to spare.

I was happily scooting around last year until the clock struck 12 and my carriage turned into a pumpkin in mid-October. That is to say, when my Nevada license 6 month grace period expired. But, to be honest, I wouldn't have had much time to ride anyway. Winter here is pretty wet and miserable, and language school and family life gobble up a lot of time. Spent most of the summer bicycling and hiking in Italy/France Alps, or paddling a canoe in Sweden.

A battery tender and the 10 meter oval track in the driveway to circulate oil in the engine and exercise the tire rubber. I am getting really good at walking-speed/tight radius turns(yawn). And, the tires look like new!

redbeardmark

Moto3
Jun 2, 2016
Kassel, Germany
German "A" license acquired, total cost was 1,400 Euros. The training seemed like serious over-kill. But, there was a 26 year-old student who had no previous motorcycle experience who clearly benefited greatly from the intensive training.

And, now the weather is looking rather iffy. Precipitation and cooler temperatures are forecast in the Alpine valleys, which could mean slippery conditions on the passes. Might end up riding in France in hopes of finding better weather. Heading out on Wednesday, if weather conditions allow.

In praise of the Honda CB650F: after riding the driving school's Suzuki Bandit(what a stink pig!), it was a delight to ride the Honda again. What an enormous difference in driving pleasure.

Hope y'all have some good September motoring.
Tschüss!

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
Congratulations!
Getting your driving license for any vehicle is an expensive affair here in Europe, but then again, I'm pretty sure the quality standards and skill requirements are much higher than in many other parts of the world.

Top Bottom