Welcome back - please login below. New here? It's quick & easy to register!

Register Log in
  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Canada Meet Up - Yonge & Wedgewood - August 18th. Discussion/Info here.

CB650F 'Austin Racing' v 'CR Racefit' v 'Akrapovic' exhausts,...

Thread starter #1
Been trying to get a CR Racefit exhaust, closest is a 'Austin Racing' approx £699, why are Akropovic so expensive, there downpipes are nice but the silencer is to fat and baulky also they don't sound as good in my opinion. anyone got an Austin Racing or better still an CR Racefit?,... Robspeed.

Thomas

CBR ABS
650F Alumnus
The silencer is big for a reason. Because the Akrapovic is buildt to meet the requirements regarding noise and emission laws. Why are they so expensive? The quality is good and you also pay some money for the name.
For sure, Racefit and AR can build much smaller exhausts. They don´t produce exhausts that meet the regulations of some countries. So no space for noise cancelling or a catalytic converter needed.
I`d like to hear those from time to time for a few minutes but I think using one of those will torture your ears after some distance.

Thread starter #3
Guten Tag Mein Freund 'Thomas', I very much agree with your views on akrapovic, however i want an exhaust that will growl & rasp & crackle not burble and drone not knowing wether to baffle in or baffle out, ive grew up with 70's bikes, cb400/4 with alfa exhaust, Z650 with Harris formula one etc, some exhausts just sound right and designed for the whole rev range due to a correct tuned length of exhaust and reduced back pressure, you cannot get an optomized 'pipe' if its short and underslung with a side exit, just look at the race Ducati 996 termignoni, pure mettalurgical perfection of design and sound {v twin}. four cylinders sound special like a v8 and when its time for the vehicle MOT, replace with the standard exhaust. as for price on the 'Akra' most CB650F's cost £4000 to £5000 so spending over £1000 on just an underslung exhaust when the competition are only £600 to £700 i could not justify.
Just like a scooby {subaru sti} some are good some are too loud, ever heard an RD250 aircooled with Microns? {yes its a two stroke} some engines sound better than others but the CB650F needs a treat once in a while and it should not cost a fortune. am intrested in your bikes past and present tuned, wishing you the very best my friend, robspeed.

Thomas

CBR ABS
650F Alumnus
I decided against the Akra with my 650 because of the price and the sound wasn't that great imo. There are bikes that sound great with the Akra and some that "only" sound good with it.
For me my Mivv GP with removed baffle came close to what I call great sound. It was also pretty "cheap". In return I had to deal with ok-ish quality and poor fitment + it did all but not meet the limit values, even with baffle.

There sure are exhausts with a better price to performance relation than the Akra.
Just because you asked why it's so big and expensive. Sure you also pay the hype coming with the name. They know people will buy their exhausts - (because the quality and you often can gain the most / loose the least power with those) - so they can ask for what they currently do.

rustyeyed

CBR ABS
Been trying to get a CR Racefit exhaust, closest is a 'Austin Racing' approx £699, why are Akropovic so expensive, there downpipes are nice but the silencer is to fat and baulky also they don't sound as good in my opinion. anyone got an Austin Racing or better still an CR Racefit?,... Robspeed.
Apologise this long commet in advance, but I have some points.

Firstly, everything regarding this bike in the aftermarket is expensive!!! I have got all the mods and for the bike I would think I am buying it for a fire blade or Ducati.

Secondly, Akrapovic, It's designed to work with a baffle.

Akrapovics are expensive...agreed! I have one and contemplated a lot about it.

Here is some insight,

1. Aethetically - conventional exhaust doesnt suit some bike design and suit some. For this bike the underslung keeps it's 'sharp' look. I didn't find the old akrapovic side mounted exhaust design suited this bike, it just looked odd. Now this is very subjective. I wouldn't settle for something I don't like just because it's cheaper.

2. Akrapovic does R&D before releasing something on the market, so you actually have a dyno chart to see it's performance (4 bhp which is not much but with no requirement for any tuning!) The bike did transform across the range you have to ride to understand what I am saying.

3. Welds - the welds are nearly a work of art and they are hand made (atleast I know some of them are), hence you have a big wait time.

4. They are used by big labels on the race tracks and championships, so that too boosts the price a bit more.

5. Quality - owned it nearly 2 years or so and it still looks like new while the cheaper one seems to have gotten destroyed at the header pipes. (304 stainless steel are used in cheaper ones I think and Akrapovic uses 316 stainless steel which is standard for engineering)

6. Sound - without the baffle you need earplugs, it is stupid loud. When you open the throttle things change, sounds more like motoGP exhaust tone. Mine even pops at times when everything is running at good temperatures. I have heard all the 'best' exhausts and 'cheaper' exhausts and to me this one sounds more refined.

If you think £1000 is expensive for a full system try other bikes, fireblade full exhuast is £2500, ducati 959/suspersports £3500. There is a reason some mentioned above and last but not the least - superb workmanship and quality.

I tuned mine using a Power Commander 5 as the baffle removal reduces the back pressure on the headers. This engine wont give you much bhp out max about 8-10bhp depending on dyno you use. You will need a PC5. The bike is far better than Akra + baffle in and very refined through the entire rev range. Not to mention a good power gain everywhere. You really need to ride my bike to understand what I say.

Yes economically it's not palatable but do i regret it no. Would I do it again, definitely but on another bike (I think will need to sell my kidneys hahahah!)

Danny88

CB ABS
The 'race' variant of the Akra is a nudge over £800 brand new. It makes it a ton or two more than the cheaper exhausts out there, worth spending the extra bit of cash imo.

Thread starter #8
Great reply 'rustyeyed' thanks for the advice, yeah 316 stainless tapered headers on Akra is better than 304 used by some cheaper exhausts, 316 is surgical grade and also used in watches etc {but not my rolex that uses 904L completly resistant to salt water}. as i said i love the akra headers, just a bit old fashioned spose prefering traditional length exhausts, bikes do look more symetrical from every angle with the underslung pipe.
MCN - motorcycle news are doing a feature on Austin racing on wednesday so will have a look at that also. your bike looks / sounds well sorted, Robspeed.

Splint

CBR ABS
Hi Rob, I was also looking to get a CR racefit exhaust and below is the reply that I got from the Australian supplier of their product. I'm probably going to go with the Akra as well. Also I think he made a mistake saying it was 2013, should've been 2014.

Thanks for your enquiry.

Unfortunately Racefit don’t make an exhaust for your bike. They did make a few one offs when that bike was initially released in 2013. However they didn’t make a jig to continue production for some reason . We have been asking them for some time to produce this exhaust as we get a few enquiries but we have been waiting couple of years now.

If there is another option you have then please let us know as we can most likely get it for you.