Aussie Owners

emudshit

CBR650R ABS
May 27, 2019
From perth, ordered mine 3 months ago and just got her on Friday , as you can see already blacked her out, made my own bar ends, changed the levers, changed the stickers and a few other small mods, de restriction will be done in 2 weeks Screenshot_20190805-003109_Gallery.jpg

Au650r

CBR650R
Aug 6, 2020
Riding Since
From perth, ordered mine 3 months ago and just got her on Friday , as you can see already blacked her out, made my own bar ends, changed the levers, changed the stickers and a few other small mods, de restriction will be done in 2 weeks View attachment 3751
Have you got any other photos of your bike you’d be willing to share, I’m very tempted to black mine out too but I’m scared I’ll regret it 😅

NinjaDust77

CB650R ABS
Jul 6, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Riding Since
From perth, ordered mine 3 months ago and just got her on Friday , as you can see already blacked her out, made my own bar ends, changed the levers, changed the stickers and a few other small mods, de restriction will be done in 2 weeks

whats involved in un-restricting the 650? i want to remove the restriction on mine also.
is it as simple as getting a normal ECU and changing the air intakes, or is there more to it???

location - Sydney, NSW

cb650r_late.JPG

jimisadick

CBR650F ABS
Jul 17, 2020
Riding Since
2015 650F
Derestricted :>
Adelaide

Attachments

• 110657867_907665999745433_357501113025307100_o.jpg
    110657867_907665999745433_357501113025307100_o.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 8

jimisadick

CBR650F ABS
Jul 17, 2020
Riding Since
whats involved in un-restricting the 650? i want to remove the restriction on mine also.
is it as simple as getting a normal ECU and changing the air intakes, or is there more to it???

location - Sydney, NSW

2 Ways to de-restrict them, have the ecu flash tuned (i went this route) and the intake funnels drilled out, 2) drill out the intake funnels and install a power commander, and have it dyno tuned.

There is a bloke in melbourne who i sent my ecu and funnels to, he flashed my ecu, drilled my funnels out, sent them back with a new air filter and a o2 sensor delete.
It now has between 80 and 86rwhp, enough to get the front wheel up under hard acceleration in 1st (6000rpm+) and it will lift by itself, 2nd with a good clutch kick.

User6

CBR650F ABS
Feb 4, 2018
In a video he made, he said the unrestricted funnels are better than drilling out the OEM funnels because they’re shorter.

I was never given this option and was lied to on the day I took my bike in.

He told me there’s no difference except it doesn’t look as clean.

Wouldn't trust Dave @ Dynobike as far as I could throw him.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
In a video he made, he said the unrestricted funnels are better than drilling out the OEM funnels because they’re shorter.

I was never given this option and was lied to on the day I took my bike in.

He told me there’s no difference except it doesn’t look as clean.

Wouldn't trust Dave @ Dynobike as far as I could throw him.
Funnel length makes very little difference in overall power or running ability so I wouldn’t over stress about it if that’s what he lied about. If they are the same opening size between drilled and new, even 10-20mm difference in length is negligible.

jimisadick

CBR650F ABS
Jul 17, 2020
Riding Since
Funnel length makes very little difference in overall power or running ability so I wouldn’t over stress about it if that’s what he lied about. If they are the same opening size between drilled and new, even 10-20mm difference in length is negligible.

Yep completely agree.
he didnt mention anything about using other funnels, he simply said he will drill out my OEM funnels and flash my ecu.
did what he said, completely happy with his work...
sent off my ecu on a tuesday, had it back in adelaide friday morning...

CBJojo650RRR

CBR650R ABS
Apr 26, 2020
Riding Since
Funnel length makes very little difference in overall power or running ability
This is true for peak horse power but not true for torque curve. Longer intake runners make for earlier peaked torque (at a trade off of high RPM torque production) and vice-versa.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
This is true for peak horse power but not true for torque curve. Longer intake runners make for earlier peaked torque (at a trade off of high RPM torque production) and vice-versa.
You’re talking 1-2 ftlbs max unless you’ve got a system that combines ECU programming, cam timing and intake length changes to optimize running. Even then it’s subtitle unless it you’re talking a large CC motor with a huge intake like a car has.

Miliano

CBR650F
Oct 9, 2020
Riding Since
2 Ways to de-restrict them, have the ecu flash tuned (i went this route) and the intake funnels drilled out, 2) drill out the intake funnels and install a power commander, and have it dyno tuned.

There is a bloke in melbourne who i sent my ecu and funnels to, he flashed my ecu, drilled my funnels out, sent them back with a new air filter and a o2 sensor delete.
It now has between 80 and 86rwhp, enough to get the front wheel up under hard acceleration in 1st (6000rpm+) and it will lift by itself, 2nd with a good clutch kick.
NinjaDust77 @NinjaDust77 the best way is the power commander.
The stock map is not refined. the stock map cuts off all fuel on throttle close, for road safety legal reasons, should the bike crash. but this becomes a BIG problem.

when the ALL the fuel is cut off on throttle close, it creates engine/decompression braking. this is REALLY bad for throttle management, especially at lean around a corner at a speed that requires the bike to be stable and very fine throttle management.

As you probably already know, with proper riding techniques you, approach a corner, roll off throttle, brake to desired speed, turn into corner, gently initiate throttle to either maintain speed, or slowly increase.
That moment you initiate throttle, the state going from decompression braking (fuel off) to fuel on, can unsettle the bike. which become dangerous if your riding faster than recommended speed for that corner.

combine an unsettled bike with a little too much throttle = crash.

you cannot refine the ecu to allow a tiny bit of fuel in to keep the engine from violently shutting down. but you can with power commander.

you should go experiment with this in a straight if you are not familiar. get the revs high, maintain a speed, roll off, then very gently roll on, you will notice choppiness

Last edited:

Miliano

CBR650F
Oct 9, 2020
Riding Since
J @jimisadick funnel length alters the where the peak power happens. longer funnels influence the peak power to happen lower in the rev range, increasing the torque, shorter funnels get the power up higher in the rev range. so get the funnel for the type of rev range you intend to ride in

Miliano

CBR650F
Oct 9, 2020
Riding Since
also if you do not polish the thunnels after drilling out, the rough edge slows down the air intake flow from air friction, creating enough turbulence to notice a change in performance.

kittdrury

CB650R
Feb 1, 2022
Western Australia
Riding Since
Hi Guys, would you know where to get a set of the modified air intakes tubes. I need to find a supplier. I am not so keen on drilling them out myself and know you can get the unrestricted ones at a reasonable price. Thanks

NinjaDust77

CB650R ABS
Jul 6, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Riding Since
Hi Guys, would you know where to get a set of the modified air intakes tubes. I need to find a supplier. I am not so keen on drilling them out myself and know you can get the unrestricted ones at a reasonable price. Thanks

Look on ebay link below:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313847471586?hash=item4912c45de2:g:fCAAAOSwQvZh73Pi
looks like the seller is in Victoria

s-l1600.jpg

Top Bottom