Are we a minority.

rustyeyed

CBR650F ABS
Oct 14, 2015
United Kingdom
I have been thinking the same!!!!!!! Here is a little insight via observations and chatting to riders around my area,

Like miweber929 @miweber929 stated, dick measuring competition is a world wide phenomenon. I have met some grandpas who really cant leave home without their medications but wont give up riding a fully loaded sportbike because they think they loose their relevance (just ego in short) even though they got severe arthritis.

Same with young ones they want to go straight to a 1000cc from their 500cc because of the obvious reasons.

Saying that there are a few out there who are just born track ready and they go through the classes really fast but they buy a big bike only for track for the rest they have a good tourer or something comfortable and then there are some who have all the money in the world and the space to own multiple bikes.

The 650 I feel has no much advertisement, and word of mouth is a big advert in itself. For example, talking to older riders who have outlived some species have a set notion about bikes and say things like Ducati's break down, Harleys are shite or whatever issues other brands got.

Did you know the new Ducati's (post 2015) ownership is as much as a Jap including service intervals and more reliable. Harleys don't suffer from leakages like before as their manufacturing has gotten better. It's a different argument if the bike doesn't suit your riding style. Moral of the story is that peers to peer advertisement + ego makes everyone very narrow minded consumer IMHO.

Truth is no one bloody knows, yes they may have owned lot of bikes but every year the manufacturing gets better and quality has improved so todays awesome Honda can be tomorrows mechanical chaos (as the manufacturer tends to cheap out lately). All brands suffer from this, some more than the other.

So apart from the 'egoists' and the 'consumer' comes a band of 'logical' riders, who like to have fun but keep it sensible and affordable. That's where most of us fit in. Not that we can't afford or enjoy other bikes we just know it will either get us in trouble or be planted on a tree (atleast speaking for myself)

I do itch for a faster bike but this bike is a jack of all trades, and has always put me into a dilemna if I really want one, so far after all this contemplating I have decided to buy another one if I fancy something different.

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
Looking at a community like Reddit's r/motorcycles sub, I'm getting the impression the MT-07 is eating up a lot of the market where the CB650F resides. And because it's such a popular bike you see so often, people are exposed to it a lot and in turn that generates even more sales for that model.

For some reason people are swooning when they see an MT-07/09 and when they see a CB650F they go "yeah, sure, I guess it's an alright bike". I guess it's all to do with image and (peer pressured) perception.

Thomas

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Apr 8, 2017
Germany
Looking at a community like Reddit's r/motorcycles sub, I'm getting the impression the MT-07 is eating up a lot of the market where the CB650F resides. And because it's such a popular bike you see so often, people are exposed to it a lot and in turn that generates even more sales for that model.

For some reason people are swooning when they see an MT-07/09 and when they see a CB650F they go "yeah, sure, I guess it's an alright bike". I guess it's all to do with image and (peer pressured) perception.
Yes, because Yamaha did it 100% right! Modern naked bikes - als there is a huge demand for it right now. Interesting engine layouts, a really fair price and lots of advertisement. That "Dark side of Japan" stuff did hit and still hits the nail on the head.

Ginger Dave

CBR650F ABS
Aug 14, 2018
I’ve had my CBR650F for 2 months now and have to say I haven’t seen another one around the Bournemouth area since owning it. Although I love my matt black beauty, the £7500+ price tag might have something to do with this!

ADIOS600

CB650F ABS
May 16, 2017
LINCOLNSHIRE
I’ve had my CBR650F for 2 months now and have to say I haven’t seen another one around the Bournemouth area since owning it. Although I love my matt black beauty, the £7500+ price tag might have something to do with this!
It's nice to be exlusive.😎

Thecult

CB650F ABS
May 2, 2018
It's nice to be exlusive.😎

I’ve seen a grand total of 1 CB650F in BC this entire season. I’ve seen what feels like hundreds of MT07/09 in that time.

Personally I originally went with the 650F because I knew someone at the dealership and they gave me a better financing deal plus 1000 off the best deal I could get on a MT.

Certainly happy with my purchase. But I doubt others get that same deal. And when the MT and 650F are the same price people will pick the MT it seems because everyone else has one.

Kingsleh

CBR650F ABS
Apr 11, 2018
Montreal, Canada
I've only ever seen 3 other CBR and no CB. 2 of those were either at a drag strip or an event. The other I randomly crossed paths on the street I live in. And for those MTs, that's also very popular in the Montreal area and at bike meets.

ADIOS600

CB650F ABS
May 16, 2017
LINCOLNSHIRE
I nearly tried the street triple. Looks does nothing for me. Close up mt07 not that pretty, poor for pillions. Not cheap like they were. So road test the cb and I was hooked, plus the deal was mega.

Roland

CB650F ABS
The MT07 might be a fun bike to ride but they lose their good looks quickly when used as commuters in London. Maybe they’re not built as well.

I also don’t like the look of the Street Triple. It looks like a poorer relative of the Speed Triple to me.

Thomas

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Apr 8, 2017
Germany
I nearly tried the street triple. Looks does nothing for me. Close up mt07 not that pretty, poor for pillions. Not cheap like they were. So road test the cb and I was hooked, plus the deal was mega.
Was also considering a MT/FZ 07 as first bike. The looks of it were a exclusion criterion. I like the looks of the Tracer 700 and it´s even lighter than the CB650. I think the 700 is one of the best looking bikes in it´s class together with the Tracer 900.
Was also thinking about a Speed Triple 675 as a CBR650 replacement. While I really like the engine, the sound and value stability and believe that they handle really well I just could not manage to become friend with the look of it. While I think it looks much better than the 2010 and earlier models (for me they look old an outdated, the round headlights look like 2 regular light bulbs attached to the frame), it´s still pretty special.

Funny enough, it´s the other way round for me. I think the Street looks better than the Speed. Especially the fat rear section of the latter turns me off.

ADIOS600

CB650F ABS
May 16, 2017
LINCOLNSHIRE
Well I keep going on about it. On Holiday this week, Whitby,Filey,Pickering, Scarborough, Malton,Slieghts,Goathland,Doncaster, still no sightings of the now elusive Cb/r650f. Ffs.

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
On my way to laos i stopped in at honda chiang mai to see the latest bikes and was very shocked at the models
in the show room.They had about 30 cb/cbr 500 bikes,1cbr650f,1cb1000r with twin exhaust which looks very cheap and restricts your lean angle alot
.They also had 2 goldwings which looked nice but are too
big and heavy for thailand roads.It looks like honda in chiang mai will be trying to sale alot of the cb/cbr 500 bikes this year.

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
As mentioned in the other thread, I ran into someone with black/white/green CBR650F at the ride I did last week. They'renot very common but once in a while I do see a 650F. His buddy rode a CBR500R (in the absolutely gorgeous orange color scheme I posted in another thread). I do think those are far more common out here as well.

ADIOS600

CB650F ABS
May 16, 2017
LINCOLNSHIRE
Well I keep going on about not seeing another cb on the road. Well i did see 5 white and 1 blue in the local bike showroom with two more waiting for prep. Hmmmmmmmm

ptimson

CBR650F ABS
Feb 12, 2020
Just purchased a 2014 CBR650F. So can join this minority! It's my first road bike after passing my DAS. I wanted something that was good for beginners (that wouldn't get me into as much trouble as a super sports) but could basically do everything to test it out and decide what I like doing i.e. touring/2-up/commutes/weekend rides/track. Originally I was looking at the Ninjas and but after understanding the twins vs inline 4s it made me want one of these. Plus I liked the slightly sporty riding position rather than being completely upright or too bent over. I did feel like picking my first bike/gear was so hard there's so many decisions to be made and it's hard to digest all the info. When "youtub-ing" the bike I mostly found older riders riding them so agreeing with comments already made (I'm 29 so getting old). Anyway I've only had it a couple of days and the UK is probably going into lockdown now but will let you know how I progress. Also if anyone with CB(R)650s in London fancy a ride let me know!

Saqib200

CBR650R
Aug 16, 2019
Caddington, England
Just my 2p worth. I'm 40 now, always wanted a bike. The bike of choice.. the CBR600RR from around 2007-2009. Love that bike.

Recently passed my test (Sept 2019), and if Honda still made a modern 600RR - I would have snapped it up. I test rode a ZX6R (can't get insurance, £1500 cheapest), same for the Yamaha R6.

I test rode a Street Triple - and its an amazing bike, high quality, fast, handles beautifully.. but no fairing means you are getting pulled off the bike at high speeds. Most of my riding is motorways and fast dual carriageway, so no good for me.

I always wanted an in-line 4, so I bought a CBR650R in January. Love the bike, and its a stepping stone for me until insurance is cheaper for me to buy a bigger bike (building up no claims bonus, and time on my license (insurance is cheaper after first year of riding)).

The CBR650F - I realise its the same bike. But the single headlight is off-putting for me. I know its fickle of me.

Dream bike: Honda FireBlade or BMW S1000RR. One day I will get one of these.

Like I said, this is just my experience thats all.
20200307_205508.jpg

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
When "youtub-ing" the bike I mostly found older riders riding them so agreeing with comments already made (I'm 29 so getting old).

29 is Old?!?!
icon_hysterical.gif
icon_hysterical.gif
icon_hysterical.gif

Then, when I hit the big 5-0 in a month I must be ancient!!!

Hey, welcome to the forum and congrats on getting one of the best motorcycles ever made! I started on a Ninja when I was "young" at 19. After that It was ALL cruisers (except for a brief stint with an old Yamaha 650 Special!). It wasn't until 2015 that I "merged" into the sportier bike world by getting a Honda CTX 700. From there it was 3 ADV bikes with an EX500 Ninja mixed in to my, now, 2018 CB650F. And I will NEVER go back to a cruiser! Probably another ADV bike and would love to find a decent, smaller sports bike. But my current CB is the love of my "old" life!!!

Enjoy your "old days" at 29 and ride the heck out of your CBR!

Top Bottom