• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's Anyone upgrade brakes?

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I went through this whole topic. With all the respect to all the advices, is there any way how to upgrade the calipers?
1) are there any compatible axial calipers that can be easily fitted on CB650F?
2) is there way how to get radial calipers?
I mean some axial to radial adaptors..
Unfortunately changing fork is not an option for me as I have Ohlins cartridge installed which I dont wanna get rid of..
thanks
Answers:

1. Not sure of the question, the stock ones are axial already. Are you asking about 4 piston calipers? If so I’d start looking at older CBRs like the F4i and original 03/04 600RRs, even some older VFR units should work.
2. Nothing you would want to use, I’ve seen adaptors on bikes that look flimsy and cobbled which does away with the pluses of radial. Brakes are the difference between life and death, would you trust that to a cobbled plate?

If you are dead set on needing new brakes, my first suggestion is to get a bike with better brakes because you are outriding this bikes capabilities. My second is find 4 piston calipers as mentioned above.

Let me ask, what have you done to the brakes already? New pads and lines, I hope. I’d also be slightly hesitant to do much if your bike has ABS as stated in your profile. Not that it wouldn’t work but it’s a complex system, finely calibrated to certain parameters

Don't most people find the original brakes stop you ok in normal road riding ?!

Yup, even better with good pads, lines and a fresh bleed.

I'm pretty sure you need new forks for proper radial mounted calipers. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

It's been done in Thailand and there was a post in here a while back picturing it.

It involves getting parts for other bikes and doing a lot of custom work. There's zero ROI on it though, which is why most people don't bother.

Good luck!

J

This!!!!!

iQuit

CBR650R ABS
Apr 16, 2019
I’m not sure what size the stock master cylinder is, so I can’t tell you if the 19rcs is the right one. I’d do some research to see if you’re going the right way, and be sure you spring for a matching clutch lever or it will look a bit off.
2020-09-08 20_13_25-Window.png
Found this Service Manual info, does it help? Honestly, I don't understand these numbers very well lol. :cigar: 14mm for the stock master cylinder, so ... 15rcs would be more appropriate than 17/19, I guess?

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
Not seen any need to upgrade brakes, they seem very good and more than adequate on my bike.

honda_cb_650f

CB650F
Jan 16, 2021
Riding Since
Our 650 has the best in class brakes IMO over the vulcan S, kawaski 650, sv650 etc... They are more than adequate for street riding unless you're going bonkers.

Top Bottom