Welcome back - please login below. New here? It's quick & easy to register!

Register Log in
  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

CB650R Akrapovic system, exhaust sound and flybys.

wrapfee

CB650R ABS
Guys/gals that have the Akrapovic exhaust...

1. Has anyone tried to special order the exhaust and just request the baffle not be included? Or maybe included, but not installed?

2. Lots of claims the bike won't require a tune with the full Akrapovic system. Revzilla advertises this explicitly, but notes they "still recommend getting a power commander and tune." Those that have this system, did you get a tune? Did the bike run any smoother after? Not necessarily worried about additional power from a tune at this point. But don't want to lose how smooth the bike is because of the exhaust.

TIA.

gilles

CBR650R ABS

1. Has anyone tried to special order the exhaust and just request the baffle not be included? Or maybe included, but not installed?

2. Lots of claims the bike won't require a tune with the full Akrapovic system. Revzilla advertises this explicitly, but notes they "still recommend getting a power commander and tune." Those that have this system, did you get a tune? Did the bike run any smoother after? Not necessarily worried about additional power from a tune at this point. But don't want to lose how smooth the bike is because of the exhaust.

TIA.
Goodmorning TIA,

I have the akrapovic s-h6r11-aft fitted on my bike (with the DB-killer). This exhaust was on one of my dealer demo bikes. When the demo was sold, i bought the exhaust from the dealer and they fitted it for me.

I asked if it needed a tune but this isn't neccesary at all. The exhaust is just plug & play!
So I didn't went for a tune.. just a waist of money (in my opinion). Bikes still runs smooth as f#ck. Runs like a charm if you ask me.
Nothing to worry about.;):)

Gilles

miweber929

CBR650F
650F Alumnus
Staff

TIA.
Answers:

1. When the pipe is off the bike, like before you install it, the baffle easily comes out. It’s a good idea to have it, you never know what changes may come to you like noise ordinances or personally. Even if I liked the sound without the baffle, I didn’t, my passenger doesn’t like overly loud pipes so I’d have put it back in at that point. I also feel like the bike runs better with it in.

2. Zero need for any additional fuel devices, the bike runs absolutely great without a Power Commander style bike. The only additional part I say is a must is the 4 exhaust manifold gaskets. Those do need to be replaced when you put on a new pipe. Probably 95% of pipe owners have no additional fuel equipment installed.

Both have been covered many times before so please feel free to search a bit if you are looking for more info.

wrapfee

CB650R ABS
Goodmorning TIA,

I have the akrapovic s-h6r11-aft fitted on my bike (with the DB-killer). This exhaust was on one of my dealer demo bikes. When the demo was sold, i bought the exhaust from the dealer and they fitted it for me.

I asked if it needed a tune but this isn't neccesary at all. The exhaust is just plug & play!
So I didn't went for a tune.. just a waist of money (in my opinion). Bikes still runs smooth as f#ck. Runs like a charm if you ask me.
Nothing to worry about.;):)

Gilles
Thank you, much appreciated!

Answers:

1. When the pipe is off the bike, like before you install it, the baffle easily comes out. It’s a good idea to have it, you never know what changes may come to you like noise ordinances or personally. Even if I liked the sound without the baffle, I didn’t, my passenger doesn’t like overly loud pipes so I’d have put it back in at that point. I also feel like the bike runs better with it in.

2. Zero need for any additional fuel devices, the bike runs absolutely great without a Power Commander style bike. The only additional part I say is a must is the 4 exhaust manifold gaskets. Those do need to be replaced when you put on a new pipe. Probably 95% of pipe owners have no additional fuel equipment installed.

Both have been covered many times before so please feel free to search a bit if you are looking for more info.
Awesome, thank you! I spend too much time on Reddit, where the majority of people say you’re going to ruin something if you don’t have a tune with a full system.

Totally unrelated question...how do you like your SuperSport S? Was a bike I cross shopped with the 650R. Personally I think it’s a stunning bike.

miweber929

CBR650F
650F Alumnus
Staff
Awesome, thank you! I spend too much time on Reddit, where the majority of people say you’re going to ruin something if you don’t have a tune with a full system.
Yeah, Reddit is a mess filled with misinformation and bullshit. Look here for solid advice. There are some bikes you can/will have issues with if you don’t adjust fueling but this model runs a closed loop system and Akra designed the exhaust to run without the need of a fuel controller. One will give better throttle response, and some increase in throttle feel but it’s minor and it’s not needed for the bike to run great.

Totally unrelated question...how do you like your SuperSport S? Was a bike I cross shopped with the 650R. Personally I think it’s a stunning bike.
I’ve sung it’s praises many times around here so look for some of my posts and you’ll see them.

It’s very Ducati, meaning there are some things you have to accept: I’ve had 4 recalls on it since I have owned it, it’s had a fork leg replaced under warranty, the transmission is clunky, notchy and I’ve had some false neutral issues (all are getting better with time and mileage) and the annoying service reminders on the dash that only a service center can shut off can be a put off. Oh, and the mirrors suck, were recalled and the replacements are worse than the originals. It’s also an expensive addiction, I’ve spent a ton of money on Ducati Performance parts, didn’t need to, but you know, you gotta. And service and parts costs, yeah.............

However when you start it, it sings. When you head down the roads it becomes part of you, your motions, where you want to go, what you’re feeling, what you’re seeing, it’s just hard to describe that “something” this bike has. I’ve owned 30+ bikes over 40+ years, lots of Honda sportbikes in that mix, and ridden well over a hundred, and none have had the feel, draw, and just alive thing under you like this one. And Ducati handled EVERYTHING I’ve run into and even replaced my entire fork leg when they found out parts to fix the faulty rebound adjuster would be backordered a few weeks and my season was ending. You can’t put a price on that. Well kinda, it was a $2500 assembly they swapped out, no questions asked, to be sure I could keep riding this fall.

A lot of magazines are saying the 650R is a lot different than the F was and is as good or better in some ways than the Duc. I don’t buy it. While admittedly I've never ridden the R, the spec sheet shows little to no hp gain in the engine, it may be an inverted fork and monoblock brakes but it’s still budget fork and the brakes are still driven by the same axial master cylinder the F had. So other than revised gearing, a slightly different exhaust, lower handlebars and new bodywork, it’s the same bike I put like 5,000 miles on, it’s just racier looking so they are now looking at it more. And they are dismissing the Duc because of its price, which is a factor, unless you shop wisely and buy an end of season leftover like I did. Then it was completely worth the extra I paid.

I spent a lot of time on my 650F, and a lot of money on Ohlins suspension, Akra pipe, things to make it better and it was for sure. But on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being a slow, fat, lazy pig of a bike, a 10 being a zippy, great handling, fun sporty bike, the 650F was an 8, the Supersport S is an 11.

But I don’t think you can go wrong with either, and if it was my only bike I’d probably have chosen the Honda and the R if it was out when I was buying instead of the F.

Last edited:

wrapfee

CB650R ABS
I’ve sung it’s praises many times around here so look for some of my posts and you’ll see them.

It’s very Ducati, meaning there are some things you have to accept: I’ve had 4 recalls on it since I have owned it, it’s had a fork leg replaced under warranty, the transmission is clunky, notchy and I’ve had some false neutral issues (all are getting better with time and mileage) and the annoying service reminders on the dash that only a service center can shut off can be a put off. Oh, and the mirrors suck, were recalled and the replacements are worse than the originals. It’s also an expensive addiction, I’ve spent a ton of money on Ducati Performance parts, didn’t need to, but you know, you gotta. And service and parts costs, yeah.............

However when you start it, it sings. When you head down the roads it becomes part of you, your motions, where you want to go, what you’re feeling, what you’re seeing, it’s just hard to describe that “something” this bike has. I’ve owned 30+ bikes over 40+ years, lots of Honda sportbikes in that mix, and ridden well over a hundred, and none have had the feel, draw, and just alive thing under you like this one. And Ducati handled EVERYTHING I’ve run into and even replaced my entire fork leg when they found out parts to fix the faulty rebound adjuster would be backordered a few weeks and my season was ending. You can’t put a price on that. Well kinda, it was a $2500 assembly they swapped out, no questions asked, to be sure I could keep riding this fall.
Sounds about right from what I researched, but I have read that Ducati has been very good about handling issues that come up (relative to say 20 years ago). I wish there was a dealer closer to me...Honda, 3 miles. Ducati, 50+ miles.

Dealer accessibility is definitely something buyers of any vehicle should consider. I overlooked that earlier this year when I picked up a Lotus Evora 400. Closest dealer is in another state, and I have an airbag light on, need an annual service, and a recall to get fixed. Called the dealer in the neighboring state...they had ONE Lotus certified mechanic, and he recently quit. So I've been playing phone tag (well, one sided phone tag, no messages being returned) with dealers 5+ hours away trying to get service scheduled. And I'm sure they won't have parts on hand...which will have to come from the U.K....which will probably take weeks to get. So I'll likely have to ship the car back and forth.

Yep, quality and accessibility of a dealership cannot be overlooked, ha!

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
Yeah, Reddit is a mess filled with misinformation and bullshit.
Sorry to go OT in this thread but I just had to hook into this comment.
The r/motorcycles sub is trash. I do read it and post there from time to time because once in a while there's interesting posts, but it's filled with so many nonsense posts about either "I dropped my bike", "stay safe" or "I have no experience at all and worry I wave to other bikers in the wrong way". It makes me want to gauge my eyes out sometimes.

wrapfee

CB650R ABS
So on the akrapovic exhaust...does the can REALLY touch the swing arm when the bike is on the side stand?! That's terrible engineering. I have the carbon fiber tipped one, maybe thats thicker? When sitting on the bike, it gives it maybe an inch of clearance.

Also, the headers have about two sheets of paper worth of clearing on the cut out in the faring...I'm worried the heat is going to melt them.

I had a mechanic do my install, so it's not me being an incompetent DIYer.

This is for the cbr650r. I'm super disappointed in this system design so far.

Last edited:
Answers:

You have to drill it out. Compliant Eu4 Akra muffler bolts are now welded in the factory for 2018+ products lineup. Such a pain in the ass... Ow man...Took me ages to drill it out