• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Motojack

CBR650R
May 26, 2019
I had the unfortunate experience of finally validating the effectiveness of my Tech Air 5 vest this past Sunday. My first motorcycle crash ever. I've never even dropped my bike before, much less had a crash. And I always thought my first crash would come at the race track.

Instead, it happened as I was coming home from a nice ride out on my new S1000RR, feeling great about a Broncos win earlier in the day and really enjoying myself, when another motorcycle merging onto the interstate cut across two lanes into the middle lane I was occupying, without looking. I saw him come over towards me between two cars in the right lanes just in time for me to hit the brakes, but all I did was avoid a side-on impact that would likely have taken us both down. Instead, as I was on the brakes, he hit my front tire with his rear wheel, which sent my new bike down hard on the right side and me tumbling down the interstate in traffic at about 60mph. The motorcyclist that hit me took off.

I hit the concrete hard on my right shoulder. The airbag deployed a fraction of a second before impact. Once it deployed, I rolled rather comfortably down the interstate about 7 or 8 times before coming to a rest on my stomach. It was like being cradled in a ball of bubble wrap. I instantly jumped up with my hands outstretched to stop traffic so I didn't get run over. The blue Subaru that was cruising behind me a moment earlier had come to a stop about 10 feet away from me. My bike was about 80ft further down the road. I ran down, picked up my bike, and got it over to the median shoulder while some nice folks called 911.

I am a big believer in ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time). And it paid off. Looking myself over, my right knee was a bit bruised and my right shoulder hurt, but nothing else. Nothing broken. I never lost consciousness. Aside from my shoulder, my entire upper body was perfect, not a mark on my hands or arms or anywhere on my torso. My right knee was bruised but my hips and left knee were perfectly fine, no bruises anywhere else.

Turns out my right shoulder was dislocated from the impact, but there's no bruising on the shoulder at all.

As I was assessing all the damage done to my new bike, the ambulance showed up. About that same time the lady in the blue Subaru behind me who kindly didn't run me over, came up and gave me her contact info as a witness to the whole thing. After the impact and watching me roll down the interstate in front of her, she thought I would be unconscious at the very least. She said I scared the crap out of her when I finally stopped rolling and then jumped up in front of her car with my hands out. I told her I have wolverine blood and drink badger milk. In reality, it was the airbag.

The ambulance transported me to the ER, and after a quick x-ray, the doctor set my right shoulder back in the socket and sent me home. I was there less than 2 hours altogether. He and the rest of the staff were positively floored that I had no trauma injuries. No internal injuries, not even scrapes on my hands. ATGATT.

My Rev'It jacket did its job. The material shredded, but the armor worked very well. My Reax jeans also shredded, but the Kevlar liner held up and protected my skin. The cheap knee armor the jeans came with is not as good as D30 or the Rev'It Seeflx armor, and I think my right knee would have been less bruised with better armor. The D30 hip armor I put in the jeans worked like a champ, no bruises at all on my hips. My favorite Alpinestars gloves took one for the team and are pretty ground down on the palms and sides, but didn't come apart and protected my hands.

And my Bell Race Star helmet doesn't have a scratch on it. Not a single mark. The airbag vest inflated enough that while rolling down the interstate my helmet never even made contact with the ground. Amazing.

So now I have to spend $200 to get my Tech Air 5 recharged. They estimate it will take at least 2 weeks. But the good news is they also wash the thing after it's disassembled, so that will be nice. It really had some funk to it. I'd say it's well worth it, and I won't ride without an airbag vest. The protection is just too good.
Wow that is amazing and glad to hear you are all right, sorry to hear about your bike.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
Holy crap, Batman. First off, I’m really thankful you were not seriously injured. I’m also sending your write-up to my neighbor who was recently inquiring about getting one as well. I would say, based on your narrative, that it does EXACTLY what it is supposed to and doesn’t prevent any crash but certainly minimizes the overall body damage that normally ensues in more than a routine drop.

Speedy recovery on the shoulder!

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I had the unfortunate experience of finally validating the effectiveness of my Tech Air 5 vest this past Sunday. My first motorcycle crash ever. I've never even dropped my bike before, much less had a crash. And I always thought my first crash would come at the race track.

Instead, it happened as I was coming home from a nice ride out on my new S1000RR, feeling great about a Broncos win earlier in the day and really enjoying myself, when another motorcycle merging onto the interstate cut across two lanes into the middle lane I was occupying, without looking. I saw him come over towards me between two cars in the right lanes just in time for me to hit the brakes, but all I did was avoid a side-on impact that would likely have taken us both down. Instead, as I was on the brakes, he hit my front tire with his rear wheel, which sent my new bike down hard on the right side and me tumbling down the interstate in traffic at about 60mph. The motorcyclist that hit me took off.

I hit the concrete hard on my right shoulder. The airbag deployed a fraction of a second before impact. Once it deployed, I rolled rather comfortably down the interstate about 7 or 8 times before coming to a rest on my stomach. It was like being cradled in a ball of bubble wrap. I instantly jumped up with my hands outstretched to stop traffic so I didn't get run over. The blue Subaru that was cruising behind me a moment earlier had come to a stop about 10 feet away from me. My bike was about 80ft further down the road. I ran down, picked up my bike, and got it over to the median shoulder while some nice folks called 911.

I am a big believer in ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time). And it paid off. Looking myself over, my right knee was a bit bruised and my right shoulder hurt, but nothing else. Nothing broken. I never lost consciousness. Aside from my shoulder, my entire upper body was perfect, not a mark on my hands or arms or anywhere on my torso. My right knee was bruised but my hips and left knee were perfectly fine, no bruises anywhere else.

Turns out my right shoulder was dislocated from the impact, but there's no bruising on the shoulder at all.

As I was assessing all the damage done to my new bike, the ambulance showed up. About that same time the lady in the blue Subaru behind me who kindly didn't run me over, came up and gave me her contact info as a witness to the whole thing. After the impact and watching me roll down the interstate in front of her, she thought I would be unconscious at the very least. She said I scared the crap out of her when I finally stopped rolling and then jumped up in front of her car with my hands out. I told her I have wolverine blood and drink badger milk. In reality, it was the airbag.

The ambulance transported me to the ER, and after a quick x-ray, the doctor set my right shoulder back in the socket and sent me home. I was there less than 2 hours altogether. He and the rest of the staff were positively floored that I had no trauma injuries. No internal injuries, not even scrapes on my hands. ATGATT.

My Rev'It jacket did its job. The material shredded, but the armor worked very well. My Reax jeans also shredded, but the Kevlar liner held up and protected my skin. The cheap knee armor the jeans came with is not as good as D30 or the Rev'It Seeflx armor, and I think my right knee would have been less bruised with better armor. The D30 hip armor I put in the jeans worked like a champ, no bruises at all on my hips. My favorite Alpinestars gloves took one for the team and are pretty ground down on the palms and sides, but didn't come apart and protected my hands.

And my Bell Race Star helmet doesn't have a scratch on it. Not a single mark. The airbag vest inflated enough that while rolling down the interstate my helmet never even made contact with the ground. Amazing.

So now I have to spend $200 to get my Tech Air 5 recharged. They estimate it will take at least 2 weeks. But the good news is they also wash the thing after it's disassembled, so that will be nice. It really had some funk to it. I'd say it's well worth it, and I won't ride without an airbag vest. The protection is just too good.
Glad you’re ok and you vest did its job. Crazy how fast this stuff happens.

Dankotaru

CBR650R ABS
Jul 5, 2019
7000' ASL, USA
Holy crap, Batman. First off, I’m really thankful you were not seriously injured. I’m also sending your write-up to my neighbor who was recently inquiring about getting one as well. I would say, based on your narrative, that it does EXACTLY what it is supposed to and doesn’t prevent any crash but certainly minimizes the overall body damage that normally ensues in more than a routine drop.

Speedy recovery on the shoulder!
That's exactly right- it greatly minimizes damage to your body from impact. For best results, it needs to be paired with good riding gear to protect against abrasion from sliding. Here's my jacket and pants:
Pants and Jacket.jpg

The denim of the jeans got shredded and then cut by the EMTs so they could inspect my legs, but the yellow kevlar liner held up while sliding so I had no road rash on my legs. The jacket got absolutely shredded where I slid, but the armor held up so no road rash on my arms or upper torso. The airbag won't hold up while sliding and therefore won't protect you from road rash. It protects your body from impact, far better than any pant or jacket armor could on its own, which is why I don't have any broken bones or even any bruising anywhere on my upper body.

Tony650r

CBR650R
Nov 30, 2021
Riding Since
Holy shit 😳 glad you’re ok. And for another motorcyclist to cause it, is the cherry on a shit sundae. That gear is trashed, and it ain’t cheap. It brings a question to my mind, my insurance has a specific clause added for coverage of $5000 of accessories. Anyone have this kind of coverage? This is a question ultimately for my broker, but anybody have experience and know if one can make a claim for jacket, pants, helmet, gloves, etc.. These usually are extremely costly, if one cares at all about their safety. Or do you think it’s meant just for aftermarket exhausts and other functional and mechanical modifications?

That's exactly right- it greatly minimizes damage to your body from impact. For best results, it needs to be paired with good riding gear to protect against abrasion from sliding. Here's my jacket and pants:
View attachment 13033

The denim of the jeans got shredded and then cut by the EMTs so they could inspect my legs, but the yellow kevlar liner held up while sliding so I had no road rash on my legs. The jacket got absolutely shredded where I slid, but the armor held up so no road rash on my arms or upper torso. The airbag won't hold up while sliding and therefore won't protect you from road rash. It protects your body from impact, far better than any pant or jacket armor could on its own, which is why I don't have any broken bones or even any bruising anywhere on my upper body.

TuneR

CBR650R ABS
Jan 14, 2021
Riding Since
Sorry about the bike/gear mate but ATGATT really worked, much damage to the new bike? Hope the smaller injuries heal quick dude.

The airbag won't hold up while sliding and therefore won't protect you from road rash. It protects your body from impact, far better than any pant or jacket armor could on its own, which is why I don't have any broken bones or even any bruising anywhere on my upper body.
This has convinced me that i need to get the finger out and get an airbag. I had decided on a Helite Turtle but now i wonder would to the inner ones
be better due to staying active throughout the crash as the outer ones might deflate from sliding...

Rossco

CB650R ABS
Mar 10, 2022
Riding Since
...my insurance has a specific clause added for coverage of $5000 of accessories. Anyone have this kind of coverage?

Glad you walked away buddy, I've been looking at an Airbag myself so its always good to hear someone who has actually gone through a bad day and can report back - the bikes always replaceable.

My insurance has the option for Kit Cover which I took up - its supposed to cover all yours and any pillion's gear, although I've not claimed.

Top Bottom