• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
I was encouraged to do a quick write-up of the A-Stars Tech Air 5 airbag vest I just bought. I have been considering one for about a year, since I do a lot of commuting through LA in traffic. This article pushed me over the cliff:

I did quite a bit of research and ended up with the new A-Stars Tech Air 5. I was not looking for a track version, just one for normal street riding. I also did not want one that was tethered to the bike.

Maiden voyage this morning though Malibu Canyon. Hardly notice you are wearing it, flows a lot of air. Hopefully I don’t have to actually test a deployment anytime soon! Build quality is excellent, like most A-Stars stuff. I’m 5’10”, 165 lbs, the Large fit me well. The Medium probably would too, but I erred on sizing up as A-Stars seems to be Euro build on all their stuff and everything seems to be off one notch size-wise from the US measurements.

573CAB59-836A-41DC-BE8B-DA4DFD6B87A1.jpegDCF80036-DEFB-4AA3-AF59-815811030F06.jpeg

Sunde

CB650F ABS
Jun 2, 2018
Denmark - Århus
I personally ride with the dainese airbag vest, since i bought i cant make myself ride without it, just knowing how much protection is actually offered i'd feel like an idiot not using it (now that i have it), even for super short rides.
I do think the A-stars product is the better one both in terms of quality and protection. The dainese airbag vest can be worn on the outside of your gear however which was needed for me as i cant fit one under my racesuit... :/

volkein

CB650F ABS
Jan 28, 2020
Since I do 80km / 50miles per day in Paris, I also have yet another under jacket airbag. It's an Ixon. I bought it before the A-stars and Dainese was available so I can't compare. Drawbacks are monthly fees and there is absolutly no air flow.

Last edited:

Itchytoe

CB650F
Dec 15, 2019
I heard about the airbag vests before. They seem a bit excessive to me. Yes, it's safer than just a leather jacket, but is it actually better? I think they cross a line between "I love my bike but also want to be safe" and "I just got this bolt on roll cage for my bike!" Then again, I have a heated vest to keep me warm when it's cold out there, so maybe I'm completely off base. Heck, I'm not even sure what I'm trying to say here.

I do have some questions. I see you've managed to take a two and a half hour ride with it. Does it feel like you're wearing an extra bulky item, or do you not notice it once you're riding for a while? I mean like how I don't even think about my normal jacket being there while riding. It just feels right and isn't something extra I do because I'm on a bike. Also, do you find yourself less cautious because you have a much better safety net if something happens? Or more cautious so that you don't accidentally trigger the vest?

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
Great comments above Sunde @Sunde & volkein @volkein on other brands. I’m going to STICKY this thread so we can discuss all the options and keep one going forward.

I @Itchytoe I was on my 600RR (which others have complained about riding position on 🤭, you know who you are) and so its a racier position than my 650F. The only thing that was noticeable about the Tech Air 5 while riding was the back protector, but no more than the one I took out of the jacket before the ride. I would say its somewhere between a CE 1 & CE2 in terms of size/thickness. I pretty much forgot it was on. I ride cautiously on the street anyways (the roads around here are twisty and fun but can also have debris on them, so fast=crash eventually). For me its more about protection if someone pulls out in front of me or forces me off the road. Odds of me low-siding on the street from my riding style are low, as I just don’t get that close to the edge.

volkein

CB650F ABS
Jan 28, 2020
Ixon has a only CE 1 back protector, but it's here if you don't have any battery left. I commute 10 hours per week an I charge it every friday, or more if I ride in the weekend. I've read reports about people who had accidents with this airbag and I think it's the next step after indepedant back protectors. Also lane splitting here is a thing so I do love to keep all the inside me, well, inside.

I'm still looking for monthly free option for the wife, since she has my previous motorcycle (CB500F) but she don't commute whit it.

volkein

CB650F ABS
Jan 28, 2020
Ixon U03 XL

I'm 1.75m for 90kg, I think it's 69 inches and 200lb. I don't know if it sold outside EU though.

volkein

CB650F ABS
Jan 28, 2020
To add more information, the tech inside the Ixon airbag is made by a company named In & Motion. This is the same tech inside some other airbags brands.
They just push an update where you can add your phone number who will be used to call you in case of a crash. If one can not answer, they call the emergency.

koofdome

CB650F
Apr 27, 2020
Chicago, USA
Riding Since
I was encouraged to do a quick write-up of the A-Stars Tech Air 5 airbag vest I just bought. I have been considering one for about a year, since I do a lot of commuting through LA in traffic. This article pushed me over the cliff:

I did quite a bit of research and ended up with the new A-Stars Tech Air 5. I was not looking for a track version, just one for normal street riding. I also did not want one that was tethered to the bike.

Maiden voyage this morning though Malibu Canyon. Hardly notice you are wearing it, flows a lot of air. Hopefully I don’t have to actually test a deployment anytime soon! Build quality is excellent, like most A-Stars stuff. I’m 5’10”, 165 lbs, the Large fit me well. The Medium probably would too, but I erred on sizing up as A-Stars seems to be Euro build on all their stuff and everything seems to be off one notch size-wise from the US measurements.

View attachment 8661View attachment 8662
I purchased the T-Missile jacket just recently but no vest yet. I got the jacket so that I can maybe get the airbag vest in the future. Great looking product that I might add to the jacket next season. That is the very reason I got the tmissile!!

Sunde

CB650F ABS
Jun 2, 2018
Denmark - Århus
volkein @volkein & Sunde @Sunde please add your height, weight , model and vest size (if you are comfortable with that) to help other readers with sizing reference for that brand/model.
186 CM (6.2 foot) 72kg's i wear a size medium over my suit which is pretty snug. The dainese vest is super stretchy, so it will fit over anything (or under) assuming your gear is not race fit tight. I can wear it comfortably even over my Revit Quantum racesuit. Lasts me around a 2 weeks on a charge. They claim 25 hours of use between each charging. I'd wager that number is accurate.

creef14

CB650R
Jun 17, 2020
VA, USA
Riding Since
I keep trying to find out if the A-stars vest will get activated by a wheelie.

Will the brain think I’m being tossed? Or differentiate a controlled rise from a toss?

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
I keep trying to find out if the A-stars vest will get activated by a wheelie.

Will the brain think I’m being tossed? Or differentiate a controlled rise from a toss?

I’m not going to test the theory but...based on the video I watched from A-Stars I think the G-forces may not be enough to trigger it unless you are doing violent up and down motions.

Top Bottom