• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650Rs A2 Derestriction for CB650R/CBR650R

RAFHonda

CB650R ABS
Sep 19, 2019
London, UK
Riding Since
Hey all, I've got a 2019 CB650R with the A2 restriction. However, in a couple of months I plan to complete my full Category A licence allowing me to remove the restriction completely! Does anyone have any experience with derestricting this model? I've done some research and can see that the bike is restricted at the air intake and via the ECU.

I've been quoted £400+ by my local dealer to get it put back to full power but they gave me the stock air trumpets with the bike when I bought it so it can't be that difficult to refit the stock ones surely? The only hurdle would be the ECU, so how easy is it to flash it? Would a Power Commander override the A2 ECU map, could you fiddle around with the O2 sensor to trick the ECU into giving full power?

I've seen some Aussies talk about removing their LAMS restriction on the forum but it seems that their rules are different so I don't know if they'd apply on the EU bikes.

Many thanks in advance.

Benja258

CBR650R ABS
Nov 23, 2019
Hey all, I've got a 2019 CB650R with the A2 restriction. However, in a couple of months I plan to complete my full Category A licence allowing me to remove the restriction completely! Does anyone have any experience with derestricting this model? I've done some research and can see that the bike is restricted at the air intake and via the ECU.

I've been quoted £400+ by my local dealer to get it put back to full power but they gave me the stock air trumpets with the bike when I bought it so it can't be that difficult to refit the stock ones surely? The only hurdle would be the ECU, so how easy is it to flash it? Would a Power Commander override the A2 ECU map, could you fiddle around with the O2 sensor to trick the ECU into giving full power?

I've seen some Aussies talk about removing their LAMS restriction on the forum but it seems that their rules are different so I don't know if they'd apply on the EU bikes.

Many thanks in advance.
I can help you to do it now pm me on facebook
Ben moshe

Vboom

CB650R ABS
Apr 23, 2020
Riding Since
Hi guys,
Another 2019+ 650 restriction thread.
Recently got myself the 2019 CB650R and love it but am looking longer term to remove the LAMS restriction in Australia.
I am on my full license and went with the 650 because of it's looks, reliability and mid range size so hope to have this for the next 5 years at least.
Have managed to locate some OEM unrestricted funnels but the ECU is what is my major hurdle.
Appreciate that in the UK a dealer can update the software, I'm not looking for a performance beast so I am happy with the stock Honda software.
Do they only offer this to UK bikes? I'd love the peace of mind of having official Honda ECU software so has anybody been through the process of derestricting an A2 bike?
Could you just mail them an Australian ECU?
Very new to this kind of thing so happy to have advice thrown my way and opinions!
Thanks
V

Mathiaskbuch

CB650R ABS
Nov 14, 2020
Riding Since

Many thanks in advance.
Hi there,

I’m in the same situation. Have you gotten any further? Is it only the air trumpets and a ECU remap?

Many thanks

ChrisL

CB650F ABS
Feb 15, 2020
Hi guys,
Another 2019+ 650 restriction thread.
Recently got myself the 2019 CB650R and love it but am looking longer term to remove the LAMS restriction in Australia.
I am on my full license and went with the 650 because of it's looks, reliability and mid range size so hope to have this for the next 5 years at least.
Have managed to locate some OEM unrestricted funnels but the ECU is what is my major hurdle.
Appreciate that in the UK a dealer can update the software, I'm not looking for a performance beast so I am happy with the stock Honda software.
Do they only offer this to UK bikes? I'd love the peace of mind of having official Honda ECU software so has anybody been through the process of derestricting an A2 bike?
Could you just mail them an Australian ECU?
Very new to this kind of thing so happy to have advice thrown my way and opinions!
Thanks
V
Hi,
I have a 2015 cb650f lams model. I purchased both the non restricted funnels and dynojet fuel commander from the US.
Downloaded all available maps and with some fine adjustments have the bike running pretty good. Mid range is good with a decent enough top end to make overtaking a breeze. Most days consist of a 120km round trip commute. As it is a naked bike I am not too concerned about top speed but would easily break the legal speed limit ;-)

NUTSACK

CB650R ABS
Oct 14, 2020
Riding Since
I had mine done today.. full Akro exhaust,DNA filter, woolich harness and dyno tuned..i ground out the restricted funnels myself before getting it all done. Ended up with 88rwhp and is a completely different bike to ride. I actually enjoy it now. Was about $2500 total..

McGrumpy

CB650R ABS
Mar 27, 2019
Germany
The replacement of the air trumpets and an ECU remap cost only 54 EUR at my Honda dealer.

In Germany, the whole thing has to be approved by the TÜV (Association for Technical Inspection) and additionally registered in the vehicle license by the vehicle registration office (?). :wideyed:

NUTSACK

CB650R ABS
Oct 14, 2020
Riding Since
If you can find the intake funnels in Australia they are $100 by themselves, and I had a custom tune on the bike not just a flash. It’s illegal to do any of it in Australia as far as I know..

North Oz

CBR650R ABS
Feb 13, 2021
Darwin
Riding Since
I bought a 2019 cbr 650r with the funnels already bored out but couldn't get any info on wether the ecu was flashed or not. I've herd horror stories about ecu not being flashed properly etc. After speaking to a local race mechanic, I'm taking it in for a dynotune - mapped against race bikes and a set of Metzler Sportec M9 this week. Will update the post with the results.

NUTSACK

CB650R ABS
Oct 14, 2020
Riding Since
I bought a 2019 cbr 650r with the funnels already bored out but couldn't get any info on wether the ecu was flashed or not. I've herd horror stories about ecu not being flashed properly etc. After speaking to a local race mechanic, I'm taking it in for a dynotune - mapped against race bikes and a set of Metzler Sportec M9 this week. Will update the post with the results.
I’d say if your intake funnels have been opened up it’s also had something done to the ecu, maybe a full tune or just a generic map that some sell..either way you would easily be able to tell if it’s derestricted as the difference is night and day!
Im in NSW and traveled to Sydney to have it done..I actually like the bike now although with the Akro exhaust it’s probably a bit louder than I wanted which is unusual for me to say..

Hondainfrankston

CB650R
Dec 13, 2020
Riding Since
Hi there,

I’m in the same situation. Have you gotten any further? Is it only the air trumpets and a ECU remap?

Many thanks
Hi all
Took my cb650r to a bloke called Dave at dynobike( melbourne) he really knows his stuff. Had the trumpets fit,ecu flashed and aftermarket air filters. The bike is an absolute dream to ride now. More than enough power for what i need. The power is just above double the amount of the lams version.
Very happy with it.

Hondainfrankston

CB650R
Dec 13, 2020
Riding Since
Hi all
Took my cb650r to a bloke called Dave at dynobike( melbourne) he really knows his stuff. Had the trumpets fit,ecu flashed and aftermarket air filters. The bike is an absolute dream to ride now. More than enough power for what i need. The power is just above double the amount of the lams version.
Very happy with it.
Oh forgot to mention the two brothers exhaust. Really sweet

NUTSACK

CB650R ABS
Oct 14, 2020
Riding Since
Hi all
Very happy with it.
I’ve heard mixed things about this guy..unless you had a really low output initially more than double seems a bit of a stretch..

ChrisL

CB650F ABS
Feb 15, 2020
A cheaper alternative is to run with stock filter , fuel commander and downloaded map. Easy to tweak yourself. More useable power, smooth throttle response. About $500 .

ryanoxley

CBR650R
May 17, 2022
Riding Since
Hi all
Very happy with it.
How much difference did it make to the mid and top end?

I’ve been looking at taking my bike into Dave as well, how much did he charge you to derestrict?

Maxy

CB650R
Nov 1, 2021
Riding Since
It will cost about AU$900 to de-restrict your 650.
You need the full flow air trumpets and your ECU reflashed.
Pair valves and O2 sensor disconnected.
Then a dyno tune. Mine bike now has 87.3 rwhp.
Its a completely different bike now.
I would think that all Capital cities in Australia will have a guy, with a dyno that will be able to do the re-flash.
If you are going to do it, do it properly.

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
It’s a pity that Honda act like this in Australia.

Here in Portugal, if you are the 1st owner, Honda does the derestriction for free!
Obviously this info is useless, just a comment.

SS

CB650R
Nov 9, 2023
Malaysia
Riding Since
Hi, I'm a new rider and just clocked 5000km. I'm wondering if my bikes power is restricted? How can I know? I'm in Malaysia by the way. I'm able to reach 210km/h and there's still more room to throttle. The thing is when I accelerate at 3rd gear, doesn't seem to reach high speeds as compared to some videos I see in YouTube. When I got the bike, it felt powerful and had good pickup. As I get used to the bike, the pickup feels slow. I'm not sure if there's some issue with the bike or I'm getting accustomed to the bike. I ride 3 to 4 times a week as a daily commuter averaging 110km a day. So far there's no abnormal sounds, lube oil consumption has stabilised, coolant levels are ok and no overheating. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the air filter. The bike was manufactured in 2022 but only registered in 2023 after about a year. There was some customs clearance issue which caused the bike to be stored for some time. Any advise on what and how to check will be great. Thanks.

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
As far as it was shared here, the easiest way is to reach and open the air box. If the trumpets are restricted, I mean, not fully open, you know it is restricted.
I assisted a conversation between a mechanic and a sales manager in local Honda shop, they seemed not to know if a bike in the room was resticted, and in the end, one checked the registration of the bike, so, I assume there is no easy way to check it. But open the air box and that will clear it for you.
Arround here, checking the bike registration would make it clear as that is an important bike legal characteristic.

Reactions: SS
Top Bottom