• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650F 4000 km on the clock! 2014, oil and coolant leak

kcsaba

CB650F ABS
Oct 11, 2018
Hi guys and girls,

Would need a help little if someone had the same problem,
Few days ago I noticed that my oil and coolant, at the same unidentified spot leaks, on the bottom at the oil filter, figured might be a worn seal at the filter, changed it and still leaks somewhere above the filter, cant see it cant figure it out by myself, thought ask aroud if anyone had the same problem.

Any suggestions warmly welcomed.
Thanks.

Attachments

• InkedIMG_1698_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_1698_LI.jpg
    963.3 KB · Views: 170

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
Kcsaba,It's too hard to tell where the leak is coming from,if the leak is not too bad, try making a video with the
engine running and include audio as well.

bishop

CBR650F
Mar 17, 2018
Hi guys and girls,

Would need a help little if someone had the same problem,
Few days ago I noticed that my oil and coolant, at the same unidentified spot leaks, on the bottom at the oil filter, figured might be a worn seal at the filter, changed it and still leaks somewhere above the filter, cant see it cant figure it out by myself, thought ask aroud if anyone had the same problem.

Any suggestions warmly welcomed.
Thanks.

There is a water pump weep hole, service manuals says it's normal to weep (leak) coolant, but NOT sure HOW much is safe?
I get it on my oil filter too. Just a few drops when I was doing any oil change.

For the oil in your picture I'm confused. Maybe oil cooler bolts, or something else.

Clean the area, try riding for a day or two and see how it looks?

FROM THE SERVICE MANUAL

Check the bleed hole [1] of the water pump for signs of
coolant leakage.

• A small amount of coolant weeping from the bleed
hole is normal.

• Make sure that there are no continuous coolant
leakage [2] from the bleed hole while operating the
engine.

Replace the water pump body if necessary.

Last edited:

kcsaba

CB650F ABS
Oct 11, 2018
Did you find the problem?

Hi, yes, the problem was caused by oxidation in the waterpump, the gasket(rubber ring) was eroded inside it that keeps the oil from leaking. Sadly the whole pump had to be changed.
A new one costs around 300 euros.

bishop

CBR650F
Mar 17, 2018
Hi, yes, the problem was caused by oxidation in the waterpump, the gasket(rubber ring) was eroded inside it that keeps the oil from leaking. Sadly the whole pump had to be changed.
:(

Drewster123

CBR650F ABS
Feb 16, 2018
glad you got it sorted! mine isnt as bad as yours. but ive found some slight oil what always seems to end up there on the water pump, do you think its probably from the gasket what goes inbetween the engine and pump? Also was it just the coolant leaking from the weep hole ? Im thinking the coolant and oil was coming out of different places ?

Attachments

• 20190306_234957.jpg
    20190306_234957.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 95
  • 20190311_181933.jpg
    20190311_181933.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 90

GGN406

CB650F ABS
Jul 12, 2019
Laos
Riding Since
There is a water pump weep hole, service manuals says it's normal to weep (leak) coolant, but NOT sure HOW much is safe?
I get it on my oil filter too. Just a few drops when I was doing any oil change.

For the oil in your picture I'm confused. Maybe oil cooler bolts, or something else.

Clean the area, try riding for a day or two and see how it looks?

FROM THE SERVICE MANUAL

Check the bleed hole [1] of the water pump for signs of
coolant leakage.

• A small amount of coolant weeping from the bleed
hole is normal.

• Make sure that there are no continuous coolant
leakage [2] from the bleed hole while operating the
engine.

Replace the water pump body if necessary.

Hello, I have the same issue and wondering what is considered "weeping". I get about 3 drops of liquid under the bike every time I ride for long enough for the bike to get to operating temperature. It's not "flowing" as the engine runs, but every time I stop the bike, lean it on its side stand, a few drops land on the ground. If not, there'll be drops before I pick up the bike again (e.g. overnight). Thinking it might be safer to just change the pump?

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
A few drops is not a concern, especially if the drops stop after a few coming out.

A constant slow drip would be something else and I would get that checked.

Just keep an eye on the coolant tank, although it will take a while for "a few drops" to alter the level in it.

J

GGN406

CB650F ABS
Jul 12, 2019
Laos
Riding Since
A few drops is not a concern, especially if the drops stop after a few coming out.

A constant slow drip would be something else and I would get that checked.

Just keep an eye on the coolant tank, although it will take a while for "a few drops" to alter the level in it.

J
Thanks a lot Brammers @Brammers! I will do that. It's weird though, you'd think Honda could build a bike that does not leak ;)... Unless it's a special system to deal with the extreme heat here in the hot season (like a pressure valve or something) ... One wonders...

iTom76

CB650F
Aug 27, 2019
Mines leaking too. After 2 years and nearly 10,000km. It just started a few rides ago. I could smell the coolant on the exhaust. Same spot as your picture at the top. I’ll likely take it in for service especially if a new water pump is required.

GGN406

CB650F ABS
Jul 12, 2019
Laos
Riding Since
Mines leaking too. After 2 years and nearly 10,000km. It just started a few rides ago. I could smell the coolant on the exhaust. Same spot as your picture at the top. I’ll likely take it in for service especially if a new water pump is required.
strangely no more leaking here... weirdest thing. Coolant is due for a change soon so I will post if this causes any new trouble.

Top Bottom