• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's 2021 CBR650R killed during first 10 minute ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddog2021CBR

CBR650R ABS
Mar 6, 2022
Riding Since
New CBR650R came from Manufacture plant with zero coolant in the radiator
After 10 kms ...She's dead ...Warped head/super heated engine.

Let us see what Honda does about this and how long it takes.

Owner's manual says ( pg 85 ) do not remove the radiator cap.

Anyone else have this problem?

BeWell All; M

User18

CB650R ABS
Jan 29, 2020
When I got mine from the dealer by courier, it was similar, although not quite as bad. Brake fluid, engine oil and cooling water were all at the lower limit and were fixed at the 1000 kilometer service by my Honda workshop. They said it was perfectly normal that only a little would be filled, but it was borderline. I called the dealer and asked if the machines would be checked again after they come out of the container and later to the customer. After all, I pay for the service in the price and want a motorcycle that is ready to ride, and not one where I first have to check all the fluids and where every single screw is tight. In addition, the dealer advertises with a check before delivery. The answer was yes, but that's all they could tell me about my case. Individual case. It was lucky that there were no further problems. I wasn't thrilled, and that from a dealer who does this every day... My first and last time with this gentleman.

I don't know who is primarily to blame now, that would be interesting. In my opinion, in the situation of the dealer, sometime after that the manufacturer, and then the one who puts the vehicle into operation. In this case. It was my first bike, so I didn't look into it either.

All of this won't help you at this moment, but so much for my experience with it.

Don't rely on your dealers, wring guarantees from them in advance that everything is ok and checked. If you pick it up in person, have them explain all the liquids and show you how full they are. If you get it delivered like I did, don't trust the dealer and, if necessary, get someone with motorcycle experience to take a quick look.

I hope that everything is handled quickly, easily and professionally for you - without legal steps.

You never stop learning. With such delivery conditions, I just grab my head. :rage: :banghead:

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since

BeWell All; M
Welcome!!! Yours is the first we’ve seen around here and the first I’ve encountered anywhere else. Were there any signs of a leak? Was the engine temp high when you rode it?

It’s weird because the ship from Honda full of fluids (they are run on a dyno after assembly) so there are a number of failures here including the dealer that obviously didn’t prep the bike. Please let us know how this pans out.

JDude

CB650R ABS
May 20, 2020
Ottawa
Riding Since
Worst kind of welcome! Mistakes happen all the time in any production line but that is why you pay the PDI and delivery fee. Not sure which Ontario dealer dropped the ball but they’re on the hook for yours. Best of luck and hopefully you get this settled before real riding season starts.

Maddog2021CBR

CBR650R ABS
Mar 6, 2022
Riding Since
Thanks Fellows.
Pg 85 of official owners manual " ... do not remover the radiator cap. "
to be able to remove the Rad cap remove three plastics including the Lg one. And one air duct. Al integrated w/those plastic push rivets.
Removed cap after bike and ANGR# rider. cooldown. ( 12hrs later ) Went in total 16.9 km ( about 10 { ten } miles ). Just a bit of colour at very bottom of rad. So I had loud boiling sound in rad when I first shut the key off.
On first ride outbound
Display /temp normal (below half way. 2 divisions on gauge ) The digital tach kept my attention for the next 7 of 8 minutes.
Buy then She is flashing the last white divider on the temp display.
Idled in 6th my way home.
She'll never be " factory new " again. How many thou/miles of engine life gone? If repaired.

Got a case # w/ Honda Canada. We are pleased w/what is happening so far.
Cold up here !!
Can't drive the needed distance at 32deg ( -5 centigrade )
to bring it to a Honda certif tech.
I've no truck avail.
I don't want to spend another cent on this machine.

Good luck & BeWell; M
Tacho220. Was that a "new" machine ?

BeWell; M

User18

CB650R ABS
Jan 29, 2020
Yes, I bought them brand new in 2019.
With a bit of luck i found another dealer in the middle of germany. So I couldn't pick them up myself and had to have them delivered. As far as I know, the speedometer said 2 kilometers from the transport service when it was handed over.

Absolutely understandable. Where did you buy it ? I would actually ask the dealer to pick up the machine ! If you keep driving it, the damage won't get any better. On the contrary. In that case, your road safety and road safety are no longer given. I find the process very strange. What kind of dealer is that please? Was that his first motorcycle ever sold?

Last edited:

JDude

CB650R ABS
May 20, 2020
Ottawa
Riding Since
Do you have CAA? If not, I would suggest purchasing. They’ll pick up the bike at your house and deliver it to the dealer. Once you let them know it’s for a motorcycle they’ll use a trailer. Best of Luck!

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
It’s weird because they ship from Honda full of fluids (they are run on a dyno after assembly) so there are a number of failures here including the dealer that obviously didn’t prep the bike.
This….exactly why manufacturers use a dealer network in the first place. Local sales, support and service.

JH09

CB650R ABS
Jul 29, 2020
Riding Since
nothing to add except this REALLY sucks, is not your fault, and please let us know the outcome. thx

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019

BeWell All; M
Dealer should check at pre delivery inspection. Dealer should collect your bike and repair or replace the bike under manufacturer's warranty.

User18

CB650R ABS
Jan 29, 2020
The only decision can only be to completely exchange the motorcycle. I would not settle for any repair or replacement engine. You bought a NEW motorcycle, not a DIY version.

You can take legal action against the trader if he objects. The dealer, in turn, would have to contact Honda in the event of errors in the delivered goods. If he doesn't do that, passes the goods on incorrectly - his problem.

Operating fluids make a difference on several thousand motorcycles. That not everything was at maximum, the workshop kindly mentioned it when I asked, I had similar experiences and can confirm it. Guaranteed not every trader will act so negligently and carelessly.

But like I said, the dealer screwed it up - not Honda. Damage, consequential costs or transport must be borne by him.

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
Operating fluids make a difference on several thousand motorcycles.

But like I said, the dealer screwed it up - not Honda. Damage, consequential costs or transport must be borne by him.
Operating fluids make a difference on every motorcycle !
As far as the buyer is concerned the bike should be repaired (preferably replaced ) by the dealer under warranty, but yes, the dealer probably won't be able to claim from Honda ,because the PDI wasn't carried out properly by the dealer.

trippy

CB650R ABS
May 2, 2021
Riding Since
Dealer should check at pre delivery inspection. Dealer should collect your bike and repair or replace the bike under manufacturer's warranty.
According to the user manual, checking fluid levels is part of pre-ride inspection.

I see thorough pre-ride checks especially important for a new vehicle (including used bikes and rentals). In the end is my safety that depends on it.

User18

CB650R ABS
Jan 29, 2020
From a certain point, that is certainly correct, but not necessarily after you take the motorcycle brand new from the dealer. After all, it's not a machine that was bought privately. The dealer also has a certain duty of care when handing over his vehicles.

But absolutely trippy, the experiences in this thread also recommend it in this case.

It is certainly not wrong and would logically be recommended, but not everyone had 10 motorcycles beforehand with the wealth of experience for every eventuality. Everything went well for me, but there could have been air in the brakes with regard to the borderline filling levels - at some point you reach into the void.
At some point i discovered the driver's book under the pillion seat when i was converting. What a surprise.
I would be interested to know what percentage of first-time buyers of a motorcycle from a dealer check every fluid and screw before the first ride. Or the percentage of buyers with the second or third motorcycle - before the first trip from the dealer.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
At some point i discovered the driver's book under the pillion seat when i was converting. What a surprise.
I would be interested to know what percentage of first-time buyers of a motorcycle from a dealer check every fluid and screw before the first ride. Or the percentage of buyers with the second or third motorcycle - before the first trip from the dealer.
If you didn’t know of the owners manual before pulling off the seat then your dealer did a crappy job of selling you a bike. And it’s obvious you reading any owners manual is not common because EVERYTHING, even a toaster, comes with an owners manual!!!

I’m not saying that to pick on you, just that it should something you get familiar with on everything you purchase. I bring up toaster because the last one I bought has instructions to run it empty though 2 cycles to burn off any manufacturing oils on it before using. Never would have thought to do that.

As far as your second point of who looks at every fluid and every screw, no one is saying that XT Rene measure needs to happen. However you should be walking around and do a pre-ride check before riding any motorcycle. Doesn’t have to be more than a glance at brake fluid, coolant and oil level, then kick the tire to be sure it’s not flat but you should be in that habit. If you look though the owners manual, it says right there to do exactly that.

As far as the OPs issue, what I’m saying is not to place blame on him for what happened. It was a brand new bike and should have been properly prepped by Honda first, then the dealer. It wasn’t. Unless something strange happened where the fluid leaked out or was purposely removed, I don’t see there being any reason and it should be covered by a warranty.

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
As far as the coolant level goes, I had trouble seeing the actual level on my CB650F and asked the dealer to check it when I was at their shop one day. Even the mechanic had trouble seeing the level in the reservoir. Not the easiest thing to see.

Maddog2021CBR

CBR650R ABS
Mar 6, 2022
Riding Since
GoodDay Fellows.
My NEW CBR650R came delivered ( 250kms cost me 350.00 cash- no receipt ) Ran it to warm then drove it to break it in. Over heated ( flashing on the temp gauge ) after only 17kms.
When arrived back home could hear boiling noise . Thought NoNoNoNo! 2021 model needs 3 plastics and one air dust removed to get to the rad cap.
Bike had no coolant in the rad.
ANGRY !!! You bet.

I bought a new bike ( less than 3km on the odometer. ). I don't want a bike that has an engine that has been severely overheated.

So informed the dealer. They want me to drive it back to them. 250km the bike will be very much "smoked" by then. If I make it that far.

Luckily (?) Got an email welcoming me to the Honda family. Emailed back and told the story. I have a case number.
Spoke to a Honda rep at the contact tele' number. I told him I don't want to put another penny into this bike.
He said leave the next steps to him. No response for the eight days since then.

Made an application to my C/Card company to have the sale voided. due to defective manufacturing.

Now I'm waiting.
Riding season has begun. I'll have to ride my other machine.

What a let down. Had high hopes for this season.

Moral of the story.
VERIFY ALL fluid levels with your own eyes. Or risk ruining you bike.
President of the dealership told me they don't check coolant level because Honda doesn't tell them they should or must. The / My owners manual says ( pg 85 says ... do not remove the radiator cap. )

I'll let you know more when I know more.

BeWell; M

JDude

CB650R ABS
May 20, 2020
Ottawa
Riding Since
So who delivered your motorcycle to you? Good or bad I guess they really broke it in for you….

Maddog2021CBR

CBR650R ABS
Mar 6, 2022
Riding Since
GoodDay All.
NEVER ANY LEAKS UNDER/BESIDE OR NEAR THE BIKE.
On occasion dumb. Try never to be stupid.
It was delivered mid January. It got warm enough for me to feel safe starting it March 2nd. I wanted this to remain "CHERRY" as long as possible.
So...
16 days since the bike went super critical. And I reported that fact to the ESTABLISHED, HIGH VOLUME Honda dealer .
The story is a strange one. ( I attest to that much !! And I want to tell ALL YOU ALL everything that went on as a warning. ) I hope I get the "OK" to tell the details you've all been asking for.
I DON"T WANT TO WAIST ANOTHER CENT ON THIS BIKE.
Can WE get an employee at closest Honda dealer to sign a receipt for the return. ( 60kms there ( And 60kms return by car ) At $2.15/L )

Yes: I don't want to see this bike ever again. A NEW 2021 or NEW 2022, by new I mean less that 3kms total travelled.
And yes: I WILL CHECK THE COOLANT LEVEL BY LOOKING UNDER THE RAD CAP from now on. Every time.

That brake line air bubble question got me. WOW! Me and the bike dead. WOW! Since the rad was virtually empty, could a brake line have enough air for the brake fail unexpectedly in a critical situation ? " All of a sudden after 5-6kms the front brake is not there at all. "
Seems unconscionable that this is EVER an issue. Would that true story ever be known to my family? Or even picked up on by the law enforcement investigation into my death?
Makes me think that quite probably that has happened and will happen again.

Had to pay $350.00 more than the "FBC"cost to insure. For ST-1300 insurance for this year.
I hope this make some grammatical and situational sense. ( STILL VERY ANGR$/9ISSED )
BeWell; M

Last edited:

Maddog2021CBR

CBR650R ABS
Mar 6, 2022
Riding Since
GoodDay All.
I have a 2021 CBR650R with thirty kilometres on it's odometer. For sale at my cost.

It would not do me any good to try to get anything else from either the dealer, Markham Outdoor Power or from Honda Canada.
Both of these entities have made plain their respective position and to try to fight them would be an exercise in futility.

Attached is the extent of PDI done with regard to the coolant. M.O.P. president "Dan" states This is what Honda says we need to do. This what we do.
Honda Canada says bring the bike to one of our dealers to allow a Honda mechanic to look for any trouble with the bike.

Since I won't let that happen.

D.*

BeWell All sincerely; M
* subject to change without notice. LOL! SOB!

Attachments

• CBR650RCoolant.pdf
    522.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom