• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650F 2018 cb650f abs prepurchase (anything i need to know)

GTSnoRacer

CB650F ABS
Feb 20, 2021
Riding Since
Hey everyone

Extremely close to buying a new old stock cb650, love the bike but want to know the forums opinion on my negotiatated price and if you think I'll love the bike.

I'm 6'4 so maybe a bit tall and 250lbs (for now). I'm going to be riding it 2up a fair bit.

Old bike was a vstar1100.

Its got about 200km from test rides.
Looking at 8500cad out the door.

Thoughts and opinions please?

Goblin

CB650R ABS
Sep 2, 2019
Hi,

My 2 cents on the matter. Price wise I think it’s not a bad deal for a almost new bike. Take in consideration that it is not a big bike, so did you make a test drive? Personally I don’t think this is a great 2up bike, 2up for a short period it’s not to bad (30min rides) and if your passenger is small (but this is just my personal experience). Good luck with your search or purchase.

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
Pre-covid motorcycle shortage I would have said 8500 is high, but between the inventory shortage and new riders taking up motorcycling the price seems right. However, at 6'- 4" you might feel cramped. I'm 5' - 7" on the R and wouldn't be comfortable if I was more than 2-3" taller. Definitely test ride it and see it's something that fits you and you can see yourself living with for a few years. Otherwise you can't go wrong with any Honda especially the 650!

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
As others reference above, depending on the additional weight of your pillion rider, you might want to get a bigger displacement bike if you are doing a lot of 2 Up. I ride a fair amount with my wife on the back and the power is adequate but I weight around 165 and she is (less:bear:). If we were moving more weight around I would have already upgraded up to a VFR800, Mutlistrada 950, or something with more oomph.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Guess I’m going to go against everyone else here: I am 6’3”, 240lbs and my wife is 5’5” and around 150lbs or so and toured all over the place on our ‘14 CBR650F, most of its life it was used as a two up machine. We have since moved on to an even better two up bike to do longer duration trips on, a Triumph Sprint GT, but i have no problems recommending the bike to you.

If your plan is to tour two up, multiple days at a time, and you’ll carry a ton of luggage, I’d say move on, that’s why I did, but if you’re looking for a fun, light weekend toy, it’s a great bike. But I’d say a VFR isn’t a big enough change to warrant looking at that, I’d go more towards a Tracer or Ninja 1000.

I can’t comment much on price since I don’t know what the market is up there and what else is available for that price. I will say this: it’s a 2018 demo bike, so probably built and delivered in 2017 so 4 years now. I’d personally say with it converting to $7,000 US when I just ran it, I‘d say that’s not an awful price at all.

GTSnoRacer

CB650F ABS
Feb 20, 2021
Riding Since
Thanks everyone.
Guess I’m going to go against everyone else here: I am 6’3”, 240lbs and my wife is 5’5” and around 150lbs or so and toured all over the place on our ‘14 CBR650F, most of its life it was used as a two up machine. We have since moved on to an even better two up bike to do longer duration trips on, a Triumph Sprint GT, but i have no problems recommending the bike to you.

If your plan is to tour two up, multiple days at a time, and you’ll carry a ton of luggage, I’d say move on, that’s why I did, but if you’re looking for a fun, light weekend toy, it’s a great bike. But I’d say a VFR isn’t a big enough change to warrant looking at that, I’d go more towards a Tracer or Ninja 1000.

I can’t comment much on price since I don’t know what the market is up there and what else is available for that price. I will say this: it’s a 2018 demo bike, so probably built and delivered in 2017 so 4 years now. I’d personally say with it converting to $7,000 US when I just ran it, I‘d say that’s not an awful price at all.
It was only registered last year so has 4 month warranty.

No luggage. Not real "touring" mostly just day trips and the ideal outcome she'll be on her own bike in a year or so.

JDude

CB650R ABS
May 20, 2020
Ottawa
Riding Since
My rambling thoughts...
Where in Canada? It does matter a bit for $.
You shouldn’t be paying dealer delivery as a used vehicle.
It’s February, are they storing it for you until spring or are you taking delivery?
I would think $8000 CDN out the door would be a reasonable goal.
I haven’t sat/ridden a 2018, I think you’d be cramped on a 2019-21.
I’m 6’ & 190 lbs and would welcome more legroom than the stock pegs offer.
I remember another member who was disappointed by the 2 up on a 2019 and moved to a larger bike but Mike has been in your situation so might add the most value to your question. But ultimately it’s how you feel.
I would ask them to throw in a wrench for adjusting the rear shock if you’re going to be on and off with the 2 up.
Personally on the 2020 I would definitely be cramped as a 2 up as I move my body around a fair bit on longer trips over 400km. So I would go with a larger bike for regular 2 up if I was in your situation.
If the bike fits the wife/girlfriend, then I would recommend it as a great transition bike that could be moved to her in the future. This would depend on her provincial M licensing and the cost of insurance as it might be prohibitive.

GTSnoRacer

CB650F ABS
Feb 20, 2021
Riding Since
My rambling thoughts...
It’s February, are they storing it for you until spring or are you taking delivery?
I remember another member who was disappointed by the 2 up on a 2019 and moved to a larger bike but Mike has been in your situation so might add the most value to your question. But ultimately it’s how you feel.
I would ask them to throw in a wrench for adjusting the rear shock if you’re going to be on and off with the 2 up.
Personally on the 2020 I would definitely be cramped as a 2 up as I move my body around a fair bit on longer trips over 400km. So I would go with a larger bike for regular 2 up if I was in your situation.
If the bike fits the wife/girlfriend, then I would recommend it as a great transition bike that could be moved to her in the future. This would depend on her provincial M licensing and the cost of insurance as it might be prohibitive.
Thanks for the thoughts. In BC, so looking at taking it any time.

I'm going to commuting solo, and 2up would be for day trips and only until we get a second bike. Which might be bigger for me but more likely a smaller one for her.

I am having a hard time deciding between the cb and a kawi z650 (2019 with 2 years of warranty, 1km)

GTSnoRacer

CB650F ABS
Feb 20, 2021
Riding Since
JDude @JDude I got the preload tool thrown in, thanks for that idea, although isn't it a normal part of the onboard toolkit?

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
although isn't it a normal part of the onboard toolkit?
Most likely no. The toolkits of yesteryear that used to be included are gone and replaced by a bag, helmet holder cord and maybe a fuse puller if your lucky. They can be purchased separately, however.

JDude

CB650R ABS
May 20, 2020
Ottawa
Riding Since
Sounds like you’re joining the team? Bikes in BC seem to be a bit more pricy than the rest of Canada, at least the ones I’ve been looking at.

honda_cb_650f

CB650F
Jan 16, 2021
Riding Since
I'm 6'4" and 220lbs I fit on the 2018 just fine. Anymore than 3 hours on the bike I need to stretch out and take a break.

GTSnoRacer

CB650F ABS
Feb 20, 2021
Riding Since
My rambling thoughts...
Do you recall the procedure for adjusting the preload? I asked for it to be adjusted and was quote 3/4hour shop time...I hope its not that hard.

GTSnoRacer

CB650F ABS
Feb 20, 2021
Riding Since
Sounds like you’re joining the team? Bikes in BC seem to be a bit more pricy than the rest of Canada, at least the ones I’ve been looking at.
Yup! Excited to be on a bike again. Surprised how cheap insurance is

JH09

CB650R ABS
Jul 29, 2020
Riding Since
Do you recall the procedure for adjusting the preload? I asked for it to be adjusted and was quote 3/4hour shop time...I hope its not that hard.
procedure is in the manual and not hard with the proper tool to get enough torque. careful of your knuckles though! it takes about 10 sec. i am 6'3 200lbs and made it 2 clicks stiffer after measuring the sag

GTSnoRacer

CB650F ABS
Feb 20, 2021
Riding Since
procedure is in the manual and not hard with the proper tool to get enough torque. careful of your knuckles though! it takes about 10 sec. i am 6'3 200lbs and made it 2 clicks stiffer after measuring the sag
Thanks, I remember doing this on my vstar years ago, and it was difficult to get the torque. Is it easier with weight on the bike or on a stand? I'm 6'4 250 so going 3 or 4 clicks. And then a couple more when 2 up.

JH09

CB650R ABS
Jul 29, 2020
Riding Since
i just did it with the bike on the sidestand. an extender for the little wrench was the key to getting it to turn. watch your knuckles! LOL

Top Bottom