• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

2016 model in black...

snickers

CBR650F
Mar 4, 2018
plano, tx
Considering purchasing this new from a dealer. It has all of 20 miles on it from test rides. Been riding off and on for 20 years. Had a cbr250r back in 2011 and a ctx700 since 2014. Trading the ctx in.

Is there anything I should know about this model year? It’s a non abs model.

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
It's up to you but abs saved my ass many times over, i wouldn't leave home with out it.Think again before
you buy a non abs.There is very little difference between the 2014,2015,2016 models but you did get the
color right.

Duncan

CBR650F
Honorable Discharge
Odominator
May 3, 2015
SEQ Australia
the US has an interesting relationship with ABS. I wonder if it's a litigation thing if some one thinks ABS is a magic safety net.

as Roadhog said, the 14-16 is the same, bar the fairing colour. even the 17-18 is mostly the same with the difference being inlet stack, gearbox and exhaust. rear cowl and headlight.

Popular 1st up mods are hand grips, the stock ones are hard and crap in the rain while softer rubber ones grip better and dull some of the buzz when the engine gets spinning.
The OEM tyres are hard, seeming harder than the non-OEM version. also, the rear profile is square-ish. the square profile makes it handle slowly and give poor feedback mid corner.

this video highlight touring tyres, and sport tyres will be grippier still.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Abs is nice but shouldn’t be a deal breaker. If you are constantly using it, that says more about the way you ride than the bike itself, I know in my cars other than glare ice I’ve used the ABS maybe once every few years. I’ve yet to “need” it or “use” it on my bikes that have had it; take that for what it’s worth.

I think the brakes on the CBR are pretty easy to modulate and work fairly well as is, if you need more HH pads and steel lines will help bring them to another level.

Nothing to know about that year or any year 650F other than an early 14/15 recall for defective starter relays and the early CB’s had a recall for a short wiring harness that caused issues, neither should still be an issue. What I love about the 650 is that it’s probably the first bike I’ve bought in a long time that didn’t NEED anything straight out of the showroom and works fairly well as is. As stated, the OEM tires are a bit wooden, the grips feel cheap and the stock windscreen doesn’t cover much.

Replacement grips are cheap (like $10 or I suggest the heated models), get the tall Honda screen thrown in or buy one of the many aftermarket options for about $100 (MRA is a popular choice) and replace the tires when they wear out. From there it’s looks .

Good luck!!!

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
I am not using abs constantly and it's not how you ride it's where you ride.If i was riding in the states or australia
i would not need abs as much as i need it here, where there are very few road rules,and sudden stopping is common.

Duncan

CBR650F
Honorable Discharge
Odominator
May 3, 2015
SEQ Australia
don't get me wrong Road hog, I was speaking to the higher rate of non-ABS in the US.
I do like the ABS. I support it's continued improvement and use on street bikes.

Somchai

CBR650F ABS
Jan 13, 2018
Thailand
I am not using abs constantly and it's not how you ride it's where you ride.If i was riding in the states or australia
i would not need abs as much as i need it here, where there are very few road rules,and sudden stopping is common.

Just wish ABS was switchable. Many roads here are very dirty and would almost qualify as dirt roads.
Occasionally to get somewhere you need to ride on real dirt roads as well.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
don't get me wrong Road hog, I was speaking to the higher rate of non-ABS in the US.
I do like the ABS. I support it's continued improvement and use on street bikes.
I don’t think he’s replying to you but instead to my statements that “if you’re using abs all the time, it says more about the way you’re riding than the bike itself.”

Nothing personal, R @Road Hog, but I stand by my statements. You stated above, ABS has saved your ass many times, you wouldn’t ride without it, that to me says it all. I get it, traffic in certain countries are insane but before there was ABS there were brakes and people rode without locking wheels so I know it is possible to brake hard without activating ABS or locking a wheel. And your stopping times will be even shorter than if ABS was activated.

Abs is a great feature but I wouldn’t pick one bike with it over another without it for that reason alone.

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
Let me ask you how many asian countries have you rode in?I have had a few non-abs bikes before i got the abs ones and everyone
i had i locked the rear wheel up,and when i went side ways in the trees,or into cars, and wished i had abs brakes.I have been riding bikes
in thailand for over 16 years and i ride every day because the weather is so freakin good here. Myself and most of my friends will not own a non abs bike.
But if i lived and rode in the usa it would't matter either way.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Let me ask you how many asian countries have you rode in?

None. Not sure that's a huge factor but you're right, I have never ridden in an Asian country. I am assuming physics are different in Asian countries?

I have had a few non-abs bikes before i got the abs ones and everyone i had i locked the rear wheel up,and when i went side ways in the trees,or into cars, and wished i had abs brakes.I have been riding bikes
in thailand for over 16 years and i ride every day because the weather is so freakin good here. Myself and most of my friends will not own a non abs bike.

All good, and I am glad you have a lot of experience riding in Thailand. I've locked the rear wheel up as well on the street, but over 40 years of dirt riding have taught me how to deal with it. ABS has it's place, and I think it's come around to the point it's now very useful and unobtrusive but no matter the situation ABS kicking in doesn't override a good braking technique and not locking the wheel up in the first place. The front brake is where your braking power is at anyway.

But if i lived and rode in the usa it would't matter either way.

Good thing the OP doesn't live in Thailand!!!! Again, I guess physics are different here than in other countries........

I am not looking to start a personal attack or continue an argument here with you. I respect you, your country, your riding abilities and your right to your opinion. I just don't think that ABS is the be-all-end-all it's made out to be at times and I dislike it when people make it out to be and you’d be a fool to buy a bike without it.

Last edited:

Duncan

CBR650F
Honorable Discharge
Odominator
May 3, 2015
SEQ Australia
None. Not sure that's a huge factor but you're right, I have never ridden in an Asian country. I am assuming physics are different in Asian countries?

1st, perhaps he is suggesting the stereotype of Asian drivers is true and that we should imagine what that would be like if more than 90% of road users were Asian.

2nd, perhaps it's that south east Asian countries are a lawless free for all on the roads, most of the time, not just some of the time.

3rd, the water does go down the drain in the opposite direction at my end of Asia, so, maybe.

snickers

CBR650F
Mar 4, 2018
plano, tx
Well when I posted my question I didn’t expect the replies to be so heated...heh.

I consider abs a “nice to have” but not necessary. I have abs on my ctx700 and don’t think it has ever been used. I’m generally a cautious rider.

I appreciate the replies. I’ll do an intro post after I get it. Thanks!

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
Duncan,thanks for looking at all the factors,and maybe you missed a few,like 95% of the bikes
over here are scooters which have drum brakes in the front and back.These brakes are very bad and
dangerous and what about the cheap chinese bikes which are flooding the market over here.Have you rode any lately ?You
could practice your braking skills until the cows come home and it wouldn't help.Plus ,what does water
going down the drain have to do with abs brakes?I wish all the bikes and scootors in thailand all had abs brakes.
I am sure it would save many lives and many injuries every year.

Duncan

CBR650F
Honorable Discharge
Odominator
May 3, 2015
SEQ Australia
the water down the drain address the question miweber asked about physics being different in asia. I posed an example.

but mostly I was pointing out to miweber, issues found in asia that we don't generally have in the US or Australia. The roads being a free for all and the driving/riding standards being a moment to moment challenge.

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
Yes duncan, there are many factors to make when buying a bike and riding over here. Like many kids
riding on scooters that are under 10 years old and don't know any rules on the road.My first accident here
happen about 14 years ago. A young girl pull out from a dirt road on to the main road, she never looked at
the traffic. I was on a scooter and hit my brakes, the wheels lock up,my bike went side ways and we hit, but not hard,
She was ok. Later,i found out she was 13 years old.Sudden stoppages are command place here that's why i support
abs brakes.I wouldn't even go into the amount of stray dogs there are on the roads,that's another chapter.

Top Bottom