• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CBR650F 2014 CBR650F installing 2017 shorter Intake Funnels.

bishop

CBR650F
Mar 17, 2018
I was going to do the Pair valve removal mod, but I stripped a screw on the funnel :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:. My friend tried using a stripped screw removal bit to remove and we broke the BIT!

It's looking like we have to destroy the intake funnel to get the screw out, unless we can find a way to fit the bike under his drill press :banghead: and drill it out.

Anyway, by mistake I ordered the CBR650F 2017-2018 intake funnel which is shorter.

I read that the short intake funnel it will make low/mid range power weaker but top speed better?

I ride mostly in the city, and assume it's like my old Ninja 250, I have to rev it high to make it do something.

Would low speed control be easier if my revs are higher? when I trying to control the bike at 10-25km/h?

We'll see what happens, and I'll get back to you guys.

The picture shows the shows the shorter intake, the big red X is the proper one for the 2014-2016 models.

When buying my motorcycle, I really wanted the Ninja 650 2017, but I found a used CBR650F 2014 at such a great deal. Maybe the shorter intake will make it rev happy like a ninja o_O

Attachments

• Funnels.jpg
    Funnels.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 52

Daniel

CB650F ABS
Feb 15, 2015
This is something I stumbled across last September, as I too was curious to see whether any difference to power delivery would occur. Check out the thread below where I posed the question and Duncan filled me in. In summary:

'Normally the length of the intake funnel is a compromise. A long funnel is best for torque at low and mid rpm, and a short funnel is best for high rpm and maximum top power'

https://650f.bike/threads/2017-intake-funnel.262/

If you do swap it and manage to get that screw out I'd be very interested to hear your verdict on it.

bishop

CBR650F
Mar 17, 2018
This is something I stumbled across last September, as I too was curious to see whether any difference to power delivery would occur. Check out the thread below where I posed the question and Duncan filled me in. In summary:

'Normally the length of the intake funnel is a compromise. A long funnel is best for torque at low and mid rpm, and a short funnel is best for high rpm and maximum top power'

https://650f.bike/threads/2017-intake-funnel.262/

If you do swap it and manage to get that screw out I'd be very interested to hear your verdict on it.

Shorter intake funnel installed. I managed to get the stripped screw out and install the the CBR650F 2017-2018 Shorter intake funnels into my CBR650F 2014.

#1 Seems to rev faster maybe a eye blink faster.
#2 Had to shift to 2nd gear soon, cause it revs faster. I riding on the the street, NOT the highway.
#3 Slow speed in traffic has improved, bike doesn't seem to lug/jerk when I'm stuck traffic. This MIGHT be in my head, hard to tell the difference from before I installed.

Worth it to upgrade? It's a minor difference, Nothing mind blowing. It cost me $20.00 and I had no choice, the 2014 funnels I had to destroy in order to remove the stripped screw. I give it a 5/10 Upgrade for Pre 2017 CB/CBR650F riders.

I would say for now, it's a VERY MINOR change to the way the bike feels.

Let me ride for a few more days on the street and highway and I see what I feel and find.

ADIOS600

CB650F ABS
May 16, 2017
LINCOLNSHIRE
Shorter intake funnel installed. I managed to get the stripped screw out and install the the CBR650F 2017-2018 Shorter intake funnels into my CBR650F 2014.

#1 Seems to rev faster maybe a eye blink faster.
#2 Had to shift to 2nd gear soon, cause it revs faster. I riding on the the street, NOT the highway.
#3 Slow speed in traffic has improved, bike doesn't seem to lug/jerk when I'm stuck traffic. This MIGHT be in my head, hard to tell the difference from before I installed.

Worth it to upgrade? It's a minor difference, Nothing mind blowing. It cost me $20.00 and I had no choice, the 2014 funnels I had to destroy in order to remove the stripped screw. I give it a 5/10 Upgrade for Pre 2017 CB/CBR650F riders.

I would say for now, it's a VERY MINOR change to the way the bike feels.

Let me ride for a few more days on the street and highway and I see what I feel and find.
You did the pair valve mod at the same time didn't you

bishop

CBR650F
Mar 17, 2018
I'm planning to do the pair mod this weekend, and will let you guys know if it helps with the shorter intake funnels.

Top Bottom